What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Apps...

Spag_187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to manage apps so they don't continue running in the back ground? I know on my android phone, I'm able to do this to maintain decent battery life. So far in my iPad settings, I have the fetch data (push) to off and location services turned off as well. Is there a proper way of closing apps? I typically just use the home button to end the app.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you're running iOS 4.2.1 you can double tap the Home button to open up the multi-task bar to see what apps are 'running' in the background. If you want to terminate an app then press *and hold* *any* icon until they start to 'jiggle'.

Then briefly touch the upper left hand corner of the jiggling app you want to close and it will disappear. Press the Home button to close the multi-task bar.

Tim
Scotland

OP
Spag_187

Spag_187

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay, I did the double tap and saw all the apps on the bottom of the screen. So every one of those were still running huh? I think every app on my iPad was still running! Is there a proper way to close the app after I'm done with it, or will i have to periodically do this to ensure they are completely closed out? Thanks again!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You need to periodically do this...however, the iPad iOS 4.2.1 is not a true multi-tasking system, in the sense that we've generally come to understand, so these 'background' apps don't really contribute that much to the power consumption of the iPad.

The iPad's 'multi-tasking' is more like a 'task switcher', in that it allows you to quickly switch in and switch out an app and have it remember the context so that it re-enters in more-or-less the same state that it left.

Having said that, iOS does allow some background task activity - for example file uploads and downloads, music playing.

I'm not an expert on this by any means (as you'll have guessed, I'm sure) so I'm certain other more experienced Forum members will have more detailed and credible technical input here.

Tim
Scotland

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
I'm not an expert on this by any means (as you'll have guessed, I'm sure) so I'm certain other more experienced Forum members will have more detailed and credible technical input here.

Tim
Scotland

I think Tim's pretty much got it. There are several types of multitasking and they all involve some level of task switching - essentially because each CPU can execute one task at a time (although a CPU executing millions of tasks in one second can make it look like it's doing several things simultaneously.)

zorah

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is the way I understand it too, and it makes sense as we would have no battery life left if that many were left running, LOL.

Most reactions

Latest posts