What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rubber Gasket Coming Out

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I figure I'd call first before I venture out in this horrid traffic. But since my limited warranty is up, and I didn't get any sort of extra coverage I would be charged for the service. I can either go to the store where they would attempt to fix it for a price dependent on the service needed, or mail it in (or request at the store) a refurbished model trade in for $300.

With that kind of price range I'd think I'll just keep my pad the way it is and upgrade when the 3 comes out next year :(

rumsoft

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I also have this problem with my first iPad1, never been dropped. So it's possible that the gasket working its way out is due to expansion or some other issue. I've only seen a few similar reports around the web, so it doesn't appear to be all that common/major a problem. Maybe it's time I took it in to see what the Apple folks say about it. Thanks for posting your experience, prompting me to do something about it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I dropped my iPad 1 on a corner ages ago, dinged it and the rubber gasket bulged out just a bit. I replaced the shell case I had at the time with a TPU case (covers just the back and edges), and noticed months later that the constant pressure of the TPU case seemed to have forced the rubber gasket back in.

Sonicrobby

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Kaykaykay said:
I dropped my iPad 1 on a corner ages ago, dinged it and the rubber gasket bulged out just a bit. I replaced the shell case I had at the time with a TPU case (covers just the back and edges), and noticed months later that the constant pressure of the TPU case seemed to have forced the rubber gasket back in.

Wow im gonna have to get one and try it! Thanks

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow im gonna have to get one and try it! Thanks

Sure. Note that the case I use is semi-rigid TPU, not the other silicone kind, which is floppier and has more give. I bought the one for iPad 1 overseas, but I found an identical one for iPad 2 on Amazon. It's just a generic no-name brand that costs about 15 bucks.

I originally bought the iPad 1 one as a stopgap, thinking I'd get something more to my liking later. But it worked well, so I ended up ordering the same one for iPad 2.

Most reactions

Latest posts