What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rubber Gasket Coming Out

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have discovered a rubber type gasket beginning to work its way out of the top corner of my iPad1.

The iPad has been dropped twice before from knee height, but always in its zippered padded carrying case. The metal case of the iPad itself is not deformed in any way that I can see.

I'm getting a copy of my receipt from Best Buy because the warranty from Apple expires May 31.

Next Friday, I plan on driving to the Apple Store in Metairie, LA to have them look at it.

Has anyone else had this particular problem with the gasket?

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've not seen this problem report before. However, as you're probably aware, the iPad1 screen is held to the body of the iPad by clips, whereas - on the iPad2 - it's held by adhesive. If you look at the iFixit teardown of the iPad1

iPad 3G Teardown - iFixit

you can see that here (as well as another teardown they did of the WiFi-only version) the clips are quite susceptible to damage and, when they did the teardown they were concerned as to how well users who tried to take their iPad apart would be able to do this without damaging the clips. I am surmising, therefore, that in the drop that you mention it might be that one of these clips was broken thus allowing the hermetic seal gasket, that prevents the ingress of moisture into the iPad, to start to become loose.

For sure, take it into the Store and see if they'll replace it for you. I don't think that a small drop in a protective case should cause these clips to break, if indeed that's what has happened.

Let us know how you get on.

Tim

OP
robertlc

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I will. Thanks for the info.

Once I saw the gasket working it's way out, I figured I better take it in before the warranty was up.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey You! Bob ~ can you take a picture? I am sorry this has happened to you.

Just recently I noticed that light bleeding issue on mine! I couldn't believe it.:( Probably has always been there, though and just noticed it. Hopefully.

OP
robertlc

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried taking a picture, but with the black gasket against the black order of the iPad glass, it's hard to see.

OP
robertlc

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Visited the Apple Store for my appointment. Was very impressed withe the customer service.

When my turn came, I showed the problem to the associate. He looks at it, takes it in the back and comes out with a boxed iPad.

He initialized it, has me sign the service document. I got it for free since the gasket was coming out, no questions.

I asked about the warranty and he said normally you continue with the warranty you had. Since I was only a couple of weeks from the end of it, they gave me a 90 day warranty on the replacement.

The best part? I asked twice if this was a refurb. He told me no. I got a brand new iPad 1 to replace my almost one year old iPad 1!

Got home and update the OS then restored from the last backup. Good as new!

Last edited:

JJK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think a lot of Customer Service Departments can take this as an example. Good service is hard to come by these days and looks as that you even got a bit more.

My kids dropped mine twice last week. No damage, because of the cover. Still my solution is to buy an Ipad for the wife, so that they can play with that one. :)

OP
robertlc

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I backed up my original iPad last night but didn't reset ir because I had to use it today. I'm assuming Apple will wipe it now?

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
kids hey?

Lucky thing you, another new iPad for free, Apple love can be just great, can't it.

from Somerset UK on my iPad using IPF app

OP
robertlc

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Next I'm going to get a screen protector, and an Otterbox Defender case to protect the newness. I think cost will be going down due to the non-production of new iPad 1s now.

OP
robertlc

robertlc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wow. Didn't realized I had blown past post #300 for me.

In honor of that:
maglev-train-300kph.jpg

Tradition from another forum. Used to post image of a train with the number of your post count. It's hard to find a train with a low number of 300 though, so this will have to do.

Most reactions

Latest posts