What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Router, need help

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have B model and few years old. I'm still getting good Internet connection but I would like to improve the video quality when streaming with apple tv and netflix. What N router can you recommend that will also support HD streaming? There are 3 computers, iPhone, iPad and an apple tv in the house, thanks

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If it is strictly for home use, there is really no need to spend a lot of money for an 802.11n router. I have a D-Link DIR615 which is (was?) their entry level (read: cheapest) routers and it works great at my house.

SteamBMW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
May be a little off, but unless your router is having problems, may want to look at your modem first to ensure it is sending the signal at the designed speed, also you may want to see if you can get a faster download speed from your carrier. Movies to be smooth need speed of download. After that, a mid ranged router seems to work well. I use a linksys which I have never had any problems with, this is connected via a motorola modem -DOCSIS 3.0. Great smooth internet for movies and gaming.

T

TJK

I just a new Netgear n600 and am really happy with it. Streaming is much smoother than with my older G router. We've got 2 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, Apple TV - all connected wirelessly- and a couple of win 7 laptops and this thing is rock solid. We also have it connected to a 1TB network drive and the USB port to connect an older HD.

WNDR3700

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Now I can take the steps you've given to check my Internet strength. I will check with my provider (cox cable) my Internet speed. Since my router is an old model I will just upgrade it.

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I just a new Netgear n600 and am really happy with it. Streaming is much smoother than with my older G router. We've got 2 Macs, 2 iPads, 2 iPhones, Apple TV - all connected wirelessly- and a couple of win 7 laptops and this thing is rock solid. We also have it connected to a 1TB network drive and the USB port to connect an older HD.

WNDR3700

TJK....I just picked up a 32G I-PAD wi-fi Friday and need a router now....previously used wired for the PC's. I see the CISCO Valet-Plus written up a lot as well as the WNDR3700.

Was the WNDR3700 easy to set up?? Thanks Ken

SteamBMW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are looking at routers around the $100 dollar mark, take a look at Linksys E3000 or the E2000. I have some history with both.. They are easy to set up, if you want to do more advanced stuff, the interface menu's are easy and I have never had any issues with tech support.
Both have a 300 Mbps so your wireless will stream very fast and run movies like a wired connection as long as your provider has you on a plan that can utilize the speed.

chisaki

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are looking at routers around the $100 dollar mark, take a look at Linksys E3000 or the E2000. I have some history with both.. They are easy to set up, if you want to do more advanced stuff, the interface menu's are easy and I have never had any issues with tech support.
Both have a 300 Mbps so your wireless will stream very fast and run movies like a wired connection as long as your provider has you on a plan that can utilize the speed.

I also have the E3000, it is easy to set up and works flawlessly with my iPad and other wireless devices.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
whatever you do, stay away from the WRT120N. I cannot get an N connection on it with anything. I've ordered the D-Link Wireless Xtreme N router based on very high owner ratings.

T

TJK

TJK....I just picked up a 32G I-PAD wi-fi Friday and need a router now....previously used wired for the PC's. I see the CISCO Valet-Plus written up a lot as well as the WNDR3700.

Was the WNDR3700 easy to set up?? Thanks Ken

Setup was painless and it has worked flawlessly since.

OP
H

HUNTER1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Internet speed service is 10 Mbps up to 13. I used the speed check on iPad and iPhone using speed test app, download is over 2 Mbps and upload over 3 Mbps. These are are way below than my speed service. I am getting a new router, just gotta choose one.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you are looking at routers around the $100 dollar mark...
My D-Link was an Internet-only special from BestBuy... for $20! (+S&H of course) This was several months ago and at their current online sale price of $29.99, they are sold out. Their normal price is $42.99 which still isn't bad. And btw, I do not work for BestBuy or D-Link and was not paid to endorse their store or products.

Kenworth

iPF Novice
Reaction score
New Router

If you are looking at routers around the $100 dollar mark...
My D-Link was an Internet-only special from BestBuy... for $20! (+S&H of course) This was several months ago and at their current online sale price of $29.99, they are sold out. Their normal price is $42.99 which still isn't bad. And btw, I do not work for BestBuy or D-Link and was not paid to endorse their store or products.

Picked up a new WNDR-3700 router yesterday for my new I-Pad. Went thru the set-up from the CD.

The I-PAD "can see" both the 2.5 and 5 gHZ signals with both names I assigned to them but says not connected.

I-PAD seems to want all sorts of Router numbers entered. The router works fine on the wired computer but no luck with the I-Pad....Thanks...Ken

SteamBMW

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not sure when using the cd, I have only set them up manually. You can always give the company a call and ask for help. Most are pretty good with giving help. But it sounds like a wireless set up problem. The router has a control panel you can access and take a look at your settings, however if you are not comfortable changing them, contact the manufactures tech assistance and they should talk you through it.

wrecklass

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The I-PAD "can see" both the 2.5 and 5 gHZ signals with both names I assigned to them but says not connected.

I-PAD seems to want all sorts of Router numbers entered. The router works fine on the wired computer but no luck with the I-Pad....Thanks...Ken

That makes me think you are using WEP encryption with the Wireless network. If that is the case, does you router support WPA/WPA2 encryption? They are better security and easier to configure.

Most reactions