What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Router Connection

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it is possible to set up a router/home hub using only an iPad! I have been told by at least one Internet provider that a disc drive is essential for set up and I do not have any other computer.

Tudor

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AirPort extreme has an iPad App that will let you set it up. I believe you can also setup an AirPort Express just using Safari.

joeyteel

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know whether it is possible to set up a router/home hub using only an iPad! I have been told by at least one Internet provider that a disc drive is essential for set up and I do not have any other computer.

You should be able to set it up via a web interface. If the device was provided by your ISP the disc is probably designed to just ask a few questions and automate the configuration process.

I know AT&T used to provide discs to setup some of their DSL modems and approved routers that (quite literally) were just fancy displays on the PC that automatically submitted the correct information to the web interfaces of the devices.

Calkid44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
joeyteel said:
You should be able to set it up via a web interface. If the device was provided by your ISP the disc is probably designed to just ask a few questions and automate the configuration process.

I know AT&T used to provide discs to setup some of their DSL modems and approved routers that (quite literally) were just fancy displays on the PC that automatically submitted the correct information to the web interfaces of the devices.

It sounds like you are trying to tether the Ipad,is that correct? Tethering can be done but I am not authorized to spell it out for you, good luck

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions. The method using a web interface sounds promising. Is that where I would enter any code that was needed to activate the router from scratch as it were? (as opposed to simply the password for joining a network).

Calkid44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter7 said:
Thank you for your suggestions. The method using a web interface sounds promising. Is that where I would enter any code that was needed to activate the router from scratch as it were? (as opposed to simply the password for joining a network).

Look up your router info on line on how to encrypt it so you are secure, do not use WEP as it is easily cracked. Once you have set up the router in order to use your IPad on the same network you have to enter the sam info on your IPad, there is advanced ways to encrypt as well, but if your not willing to read just do the basic encryption.

OP
Jupiter7

Jupiter7

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks Calkid44. I obviously haven't got a router yet, but a friend who has BT Internet (and also a Mac and iPad) has and in the instructions with the router it said you need to use the disc or alternatively settle for a wired connection, which is equally not possible with an iPad.

Calkid44

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jupiter7 said:
Thanks Calkid44. I obviously haven't got a router yet, but a friend who has BT Internet (and also a Mac and iPad) has and in the instructions with the router it said you need to use the disc or alternatively settle for a wired connection, which is equally not possible with an iPad.

You're welcome

Most reactions

Latest posts