What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rotation Lock Stuck

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have had my new iPad2 for less than a week, and already I am having some quirky problems. Not a good sign.

Overall, I guess I am quite happy. But last night, after giving the device a full charge (it had gotten below 20% on the battery meter), when I picked it up this morning, it was locked into landscape, and I couldn't unlock it!

I had to reboot the device to clear the problem (I held the sleep switch down for 5 seconds). And that worked, it came back to life in the normal mode.

I don't understand why it got locked in the first place, and it baffles me that I couldn't unlock it. Other than the rotation being stuck in landscape, it was in perfect operating condition... and is fine after the reboot. Strange.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pawnslinger said:
I have had my new iPad2 for less than a week, and already I am having some quirky problems. Not a good sign.

Overall, I guess I am quite happy. But last night, after giving the device a full charge (it had gotten below 20% on the battery meter), when I picked it up this morning, it was locked into landscape, and I couldn't unlock it!

I had to reboot the device to clear the problem (I held the sleep switch down for 5 seconds). And that worked, it came back to life in the normal mode.

I don't understand why it got locked in the first place, and it baffles me that I couldn't unlock it. Other than the rotation being stuck in landscape, it was in perfect operating condition... and is fine after the reboot. Strange.

There are 2 ways you can lock the rotation. Do you have the switch on the side set to rotation lock or mute? You can check this in Settings > General. If set to rotation did you accidentally hit the switch?

Next if you bring up the task switcher and slide it to the right, you may have the rotation lock control on the left hand side (if the switch is set to mute). Did you accidently hit that?

Those are the 2 things to check if it happens again...

Hope that helped.

OP
P

pawnslinger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I checked both the side-switch and the multitask swipe bar thing -- neither had been activated, and more importantly neither would unlock the landscape mode.

The only thing that makes any sense to me is that some sort of power surge hit it during the night, while I slept and it was on charge. That somehow glitched it, and the reboot was the only thing that would reset it.

I am not planning to return it at this point, but if it happens again, I will strongly consider it.

caver3d

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Gosh, no such problem with my lowly iPad 1 <grin>. Sorry, I'm just jealous that you have an iPad 2.

caver3d

abridgedone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me. I was exploring the settings and activated the lock rotation option for the side switch. Even after ensuring rotation lock was no longer selected, the lock symbol remained next to the battery monitor and the iPad was locked in landscape. Only restarting fixed it.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Double tap home to bring up the switcher, swipe right to reveal the additional controls, press rotation lock toggle on the left hand side...

No need to restart your iPad! Just learn how it works :D

Hope that helps.

Tom.Stevenson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No it doesn't

I agree with you that users of any item should learn how it works, but although I found my screen orintation icon in locked mode, and it was simple enough to unlock it, my screen rotation remains locked.:confused:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Tom.Stevenson said:
I agree with you that users of any item should learn how it works, but although I found my screen orintation icon in locked mode, and it was simple enough to unlock it, my screen rotation remains locked.:confused:

So how do you have the side switch set in settings? To what value? And did you change the setting after you set rotation lock?
If so, set the SWITCH back to "rotation lock" UNLOCK the screen using the switch, and then set the switch to whatever value you want it to be. I'm assuming MUTE. That should get you out of the mess...

Tom.Stevenson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You wrote "So how do you have the side switch set in settings? To what value? And did you change the setting after you set rotation lock?
If so, set the SWITCH back to "rotation lock" UNLOCK the screen using the switch, and then set the switch to whatever value you want it to be. I'm assuming MUTE. That should get you out of the mess..."

Well there's one that is not in the manual. How are users supposed to learn that? The SWITCH was set to MUTE, which is as it should be, if you don't want to lock the rotation, but seconds after posting my reply I received a new OS version 4.3.4 (mine was 4.3.3) and installing that unlocked the rotation.

Whether the bug has been fixed or it was simply the rebooting effect of an updated OS remains to be seen.

However, I hope that it is a bug that has now been fixed because if it is simply a matter of accidentally changing the settings, then whatever you or anyone else says about learning how iPad2 works, the sheer number of people who have experienced this problem illustrates that it is not as intuitive as it should be.

giabella

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rotation Lock Stuck!

Hey just want to say thanks to whomever wrote to restore IPAD2 to get it unstuck from Landscape mode. While I'm aware all technology has their glitches, I am just so thankful there are people who take the time to offer true Simple help , to others like me. You make it enjoyable to troubleshoot ! And.... As long as something works I'm happy so thanks.

pmt008

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I currently have this problem. I was using it in a meeting earlier in landscape. Came home, opened it up and it came on in portrait (it was flat when started up). I then rotated it and nothing happened.
Really confused and at a loss as I have:
- Turned off all apps
- Checked all settings as mentioned already
- Power down
- Reset (holding down home and power buttons until the apple logo appears)

Nothing is working. It's only 2 weeks old so not too happy that this has happened, especially as apart from this it has been brilliant.
Any ideas?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
pmt008 said:
I currently have this problem. I was using it in a meeting earlier in landscape. Came home, opened it up and it came on in portrait (it was flat when started up). I then rotated it and nothing happened.
Really confused and at a loss as I have:
- Turned off all apps
- Checked all settings as mentioned already
- Power down
- Reset (holding down home and power buttons until the apple logo appears)

Nothing is working. It's only 2 weeks old so not too happy that this has happened, especially as apart from this it has been brilliant.
Any ideas?

Slide the switch on the side of the iPad and see if that fixes it.

Also, what do you have the side switch set to do in the settings app?

Most reactions

Latest posts