What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rogers 3G activation issues... Anyone?

dkopet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with activating their 3G ipad on Rogers?

I have the rogers sim installed, I payed $15 for my 250 meg plan, I got an email saying that I paid, didn't receive and activation pop-up on my ipad, i can't access the network over 3G.

I even called rogers and had them reset my network settings, pulled out my SIM. Everything.

:ipad-keyboard: My iPad is jailbroken though. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

***UPDATE*** - I just got off the phone with Rogers and they said that the whole network is being funny and that a lot of people are experiencing the same issues as me. So I guess we just have to hold tight while apple and Rogers figure out these activation issues. Weird.

lem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Anyone else having problems with activating their 3G ipad on Rogers?

I have the rogers sim installed, I payed $15 for my 250 meg plan, I got an email saying that I paid, didn't receive and activation pop-up on my ipad, i can't access the network over 3G.

I even called rogers and had them reset my network settings, pulled out my SIM. Everything.

:ipad-keyboard: My iPad is jailbroken though. I wonder if that has anything to do with it.

***UPDATE*** - I just got off the phone with Rogers and they said that the whole network is being funny and that a lot of people are experiencing the same issues as me. So I guess we just have to hold tight while apple and Rogers figure out these activation issues. Weird.

settings->cellular data->apn
if it's blank change it to internet.com
restart

OP
D

dkopet

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks Lem.

I tried what you suggested but it just brings me to a Rogers Portal whenever i try to surf the web.

lem

iPF Noob
Reaction score
thanks Lem.

I tried what you suggested but it just brings me to a Rogers Portal whenever i try to surf the web.

I read somewhere else that the Rogers apn is:
rogers-core-appl1.apn

Itunes should update the carrier settings but did not update mine which is on Bell. Once I enetered Bell's apn, everything was good after restarting the iPad.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Connect to iTunes and make sure the carrier settings are updated.

Do not make the apn Internet.com, let it fill itself it should be rogers-core-appl1.apn

Just wait for the activation box to pop up. Mine took about 20 minutes before it was activated.

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yup, been there. Spent many hours on the phone with Rogers and Apple. Went to an Apple store where they gave me a new unit, still didn't work. We stuck a new sim in and I signed up a second account and I was up in seconds. Called Rogers to kill the old sim and reimburse my credit card.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Strange. Seems like your initial activation kind of got stuck in limbo somehow.

Glad Apple and Rogers were able to help you out and get it sorted out!

Norm01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think their system got flooded on the launch day and couldn't handle the load and just dropped some. The odd part is the Rogers Tech support could not re-initialize the activation so we had to go with a new sim.

adamh10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah that does seem strange.

On a side note, I'm super impressed with the quality of Rogers' network lately. Here's a screenshot of a speedtest that I just did this morning on my iPad while connected to the Rogers network:

imageye.jpg

Sweet!

Last edited:

hardy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Trowing my two cents in here, because I experienced some activation problem, too, and my "solution" might work for others, too: I found that I couldn't finish the activation successfully. Not even look at my account info. But then I tried again, this time connected over the internet via wifi. And it then worked. As soon as I disconnected wifi, it stopped working. Enabled again, activation worked just fine and I'm happily browsing now over 3G.

Looks like Rogers has some problems making activation over 3G alone possible - which I could understand, because it's likely a hack. But still, them not testing that is a poor performance for somebody who's making their living with that...

iFaninVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Rogers 3g no go in Vancouver

I couldn't activate my Rogers 3g account after an hour and 1/2 on the phone with Rogers, and having received "plan update failure" email, I went to the Apple store in Vancouver. A "Genius" gave me a second SIM card which didn't work either. They then tried the two rogers SIM cards in their ipad, and that didn't work. Finally, they gave me a Bell Mobility SIM card, instructed me to call Bell and set up my account, while they (the Genius) waited, and voila, I finally connected with Bell! I then had to call Rogers and cancel my original accounts.

Also, Rogers had told me that the problems was at their end.

Anyway, Rogers didn't work for me, but Bell Mobility, with the same data plan, works fine.

:ipad-front:

stoobear

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iPad Activation

I live in Calgary. I've tried over 200 times to activate Rogers 3g service on the iPad with no success.

I've figured out the issue after 7 days of trouble shooting with Rogers and Apple.

When you try to activate with Rogers, Rogers activation server sends a packet request to Apple via webservice requesting authorization. Apple replies to Rogers, Rogers authorizes your iPad.

The problem is not with Rogers. The problem is with Apple. Their servers cannot keep up with the requests. In essence they are throttled.

It took me 15 attempts back-to-back and finally I've managed to activate.

Another solution would be to activate in off peak hours like 2am-5am.

Hope this helps.

iPad Rocks!!!!

RobertHodgson

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I signed up last month when I bought my Ipad and had no problems entered my user info and Amex # and it activated in a few minutes

Most reactions

Latest posts