Road travel & weather app help

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by cdilly, May 17, 2011.

1. cdilly

cdilly iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My first iPad2 is in the mail and I know nothing about apps. I will be road traveling this summer and want to see where I am at all times and to also see the weather around or up ahead of me. Is there one app that will do it? Also, at this time I am not ready for GPS type positioning but like the idea of just approx location info maybe determined by the cellphone towers. Please educate me on an app for this. Thanks!

2. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Only the 3G iPad has GPS capability and A-GPS (i.e. using cell tower locations as an assist for GPS). The WiFi-only iPad has neither GPS nor cell tower location capability and can only approximately determine its location using WiFi hotspot positions if those hotspots have been entered into Apple's hotspot location database. Clearly this feature will only work if your iPad can 'see' a WiFi hotspot - which wouldn't be the case if you outside an urban area.

There are some third-party GPS add-on modules for the iPad (see Amazon) and some 'phones have GPS-capability that can be linked to your iPad.

Tim