What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Risks & Benefits of Jailbreaking?

rgg1955

iPF Noob
Reaction score
At the risk of asking a stupid noob question, what are the risks and benefits of jail breaking my iPad?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
TUTORIAL - Cydia - A beginners guide to the Jailbreak App Store

Well, that's a question with a lot of varying answers. To start finding the answer, may I suggest you take a look at this thread here: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

That'll Give you an idea of what jail breaking actually is. Then, take a look at this thread: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=25824

This list the more popular tweaks people have on their iPads and what they do (some even have links to full reviews). The descriptions will give you an idea of how versatile you can be with a jail broken iPad.

Then, a read of the whole Hacking sub-forum will reveal a lot more nuggets of info.

IMNSHO - the benefits are enormous with very little risk. I would not trade my jail broken iPad for a stock one for anything. And if you only load well-established tweaks that are compatible for the iPad (or the iOS installed) - the risks are teeny tiny.

But, don't rely on just what I say. Have a read - you'll see what I mean. :)

Marilyn

P.S. And, to keep the thread you originally posted this in on-topic, I've moved your question to it's own thread. Please keep any further discussion or follow-up on this topic to this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Last edited:

Inked adrenaline

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a personal opinion I don't see anything but benefits from jailbreaking. It unlocks so many useful features....just you tube "best cydia tweaks" and watch a few vids

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My question to all this is that if it was such a good thing, why doesn't Apple produce & sell jail broken iPads for technophobes such as me? Is it something to do with copyright or just simple economics?

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My question to all this is that if it was such a good thing, why doesn't Apple produce & sell jail broken iPads for technophobes such as me? Is it something to do with copyright or just simple economics?

Because Apple are a hardware manufacturer who backs up their hardware with unequalled software and operating systems.

iOS and OSX are not padded out with massive amounts of bloatware, and can operate without having to have the very latest in speed and size just to get things more or less running.

Jailbreaking is great, for those who want to do it, but from what I have read, it doesn't stray too far from the original OS. The meat and bones of the OS are still Apple, with a few tweaks.

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jailbreaking is just the opening up of your device to greater potentials. Like a developer cracked device, you can mod your device to do what you've coded it to do, change its appearance, create widgets and tweaks to help smooth things out when using, and much more. A lot of users are just fine with a stock device since they don't need the fancy shmancy tweaks and apps.

rhardin

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is some of the things you can do with a jb....

image-1254750845.jpg

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Well, they want us to bend to their will and proper vision of perfection, you silly goose. Apple wants cradle to grave control and I say it is about time we consumers stop looking for options and be happy with the perfection that is an Apple iDevice. As it is, out of the box. Remember, the iGrass is always iGreener on the Apple side of the iFence.

Apple wants us to embrace their vision because most of us are not smart enough to make important life changing decisions like modifying the icon fonts and colors. I mean, suppose we were to use Microsoft's Comic Sans in shades of mauve, lavender, and blaze yellow at the same time? I mean, can you imagine the anarchy and turmoil? Use your head and think before you post.:p

Apple believes colors are important, so they blessed us with their carefully chosen color and that is white. Can't you be happy with white?

Apple's fear is the icon color would clash with the device color and when that happens, Apple must sue you for violating paragraph 145, sub-sections F through H as proscribed on page 342 of their weekly TOS/EULA updates. I remember seeing the CBS documentary shot in some place called South Park Colorado. Some poor little child was forced to sew himself to two adults in accordance with the Apple EULA/TOS.

Apple knows that malware awaits us at every corner of the web so we must only get our stuff from Apple. Therefore, the OS is locked. We can't attach photographs to email because Apple knows for a fact, we will just send leaked product photos or perhaps pictures of Android Tablets. Odd that whenever I search for bargain Android Tablets, my iPad acts odd and when I try to run, a large white balloon chases me across the grounds. Everyone called me 'Number Six' for some reason. As soon as the large black man offers me the two different colored pills, I'll take the correct one and see exactly what is going on.

"Apple is our mother and Apple is our father. Apple simply knows what is best for us and so they make all of the difficult decisions for us, Mr. Anderson." Steve hated widgets because they ruin the carefully crafted vision Apple set forth for us. Apple did a study of Apple and Apple's designers and Apple concluded that the Apple employees are iCorrect when they concluded that their vision is the only possible vision. So they gifted their bounty to a topsy turvy world in the form of iPads and iPhones a plenty. Apple's wisdom knows no bounds. The iPad will end world hunger and pestilence. Their motto is "Make iPad Apps not war." One day, we will all make iPad applications or perhaps bad music to sell on iTunes.

And all you Jailbreakers want to do is upset the carefully crafted perfection we true Apple lovers call iPad. Forgive them My iPad, for they are weak and they know not what they do. Please forgive them for they are not evil.

iBless You Apple, for helping me avoid the temptation of changing wallpaper AND the icons AT THE SAME TIME. You are correct, themes are Satan's Life Work Realized and I shall go forth and multiply the number on iDevices in my house. I now know you know what is best for me-today, tomorrow and far into the iFuture, where Apple's new slogan "Everything Will Be An iThing" will come to fruition. I shall forever go forth un-theamed and boring and thy will shall not be forsaken, oh mighty iPad.

I cannot believe you had to ask why. Didn't the men in dark grey suits visit you? They will, rest assured they will. Do not resist and remember to stare at the red blinky light, for tomorrow you will be saved, hallelujah.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
This is some of the things you can do with a jb....

View attachment 36325

Do you have anything with a manly scent and big guns and motorcycles and such?

Hello Kitty carrying a 12-Ga and rock and roll attitude is what I want. Perhaps sans a top? You know what I mean, wink, wink.

Rainbows and a pony? Really? Do you know what would happen to me in prison if I were sporting such things? You do not want to know.

Andyvalver

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have recently jailbroken my ipad. Id say there are plenty of benefits. You can customise pretty much what you want. The only bad thing really is that the more tweaks you do the slower it might run and you occasionally get the odd crash or freeze. This is probably the main reasonApple don't give you all the jailbreak features because they want it to be smooth and problem free.

I used the evasion jailbreak and it was problem free doing it. Only thing id say is that you have to google and youtube stuff to find out about what tweaks to install. Cydia isn't like looking through the AppStore

This is my ipad now..

Attachments

• image-1858990682.jpg
    image-1858990682.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 255

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Do you have anything with a manly scent and big guns and motorcycles and such?

Hello Kitty carrying a 12-Ga and rock and roll attitude is what I want. Perhaps sans a top? You know what I mean, wink, wink.

Rainbows and a pony? Really? Do you know what would happen to me in prison if I were sporting such things? You do not want to know.
Ha, ha, ha! :D

Mesqueunclub

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, they want us to bend to their will and proper vision of perfection, you silly goose. Apple wants cradle to grave control and I say it is about time we consumers stop looking for options and be happy with the perfection that is an Apple iDevice. As it is, out of the box. Remember, the iGrass is always iGreener on the Apple side of the iFence.

Apple wants us to embrace their vision because most of us are not smart enough to make important life changing decisions like modifying the icon fonts and colors. I mean, suppose we were to use Microsoft's Comic Sans in shades of mauve, lavender, and blaze yellow at the same time? I mean, can you imagine the anarchy and turmoil? Use your head and think before you post.:p

Apple believes colors are important, so they blessed us with their carefully chosen color and that is white. Can't you be happy with white?

Apple's fear is the icon color would clash with the device color and when that happens, Apple must sue you for violating paragraph 145, sub-sections F through H as proscribed on page 342 of their weekly TOS/EULA updates. I remember seeing the CBS documentary shot in some place called South Park Colorado. Some poor little child was forced to sew himself to two adults in accordance with the Apple EULA/TOS.

Apple knows that malware awaits us at every corner of the web so we must only get our stuff from Apple. Therefore, the OS is locked. We can't attach photographs to email because Apple knows for a fact, we will just send leaked product photos or perhaps pictures of Android Tablets. Odd that whenever I search for bargain Android Tablets, my iPad acts odd and when I try to run, a large white balloon chases me across the grounds. Everyone called me 'Number Six' for some reason. As soon as the large black man offers me the two different colored pills, I'll take the correct one and see exactly what is going on.

"Apple is our mother and Apple is our father. Apple simply knows what is best for us and so they make all of the difficult decisions for us, Mr. Anderson." Steve hated widgets because they ruin the carefully crafted vision Apple set forth for us. Apple did a study of Apple and Apple's designers and Apple concluded that the Apple employees are iCorrect when they concluded that their vision is the only possible vision. So they gifted their bounty to a topsy turvy world in the form of iPads and iPhones a plenty. Apple's wisdom knows no bounds. The iPad will end world hunger and pestilence. Their motto is "Make iPad Apps not war." One day, we will all make iPad applications or perhaps bad music to sell on iTunes.

And all you Jailbreakers want to do is upset the carefully crafted perfection we true Apple lovers call iPad. Forgive them My iPad, for they are weak and they know not what they do. Please forgive them for they are not evil.

iBless You Apple, for helping me avoid the temptation of changing wallpaper AND the icons AT THE SAME TIME. You are correct, themes are Satan's Life Work Realized and I shall go forth and multiply the number on iDevices in my house. I now know you know what is best for me-today, tomorrow and far into the iFuture, where Apple's new slogan "Everything Will Be An iThing" will come to fruition. I shall forever go forth un-theamed and boring and thy will shall not be forsaken, oh mighty iPad.

I cannot believe you had to ask why. Didn't the men in dark grey suits visit you? They will, rest assured they will. Do not resist and remember to stare at the red blinky light, for tomorrow you will be saved, hallelujah.

Very tongue in cheek, Bob, I like your style. I look forward to salvation.
Take care,
Mike

Most reactions

Latest posts