What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rip off - iTunes Store

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure whether you are aware, but this forum has no affiliation with Apple, and therefore has no influence on their pricing policies. Some would agree with you, and others may not.

As you point out, there are many ways of adding media to the iPad without necessarily going through the iTunes Store, and consumers are free to make their choices according to their budget and requirements.

Apple do not set the prices in the store, although they do take quite a large cut in commission. The price is set by the vendor.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not sure whether you are aware, but this forum has no affiliation with Apple, and therefore has no influence on their pricing policies. Some would agree with you, and others may not. As you point out, there are many ways of adding media to the iPad without necessarily going through the iTunes Store, and consumers are free to make their choices according to their budget and requirements. Apple do not set the prices in the store, although they do take quite a large cut in commission. The price is set by the vendor.

I think the large commission contributes to the higher prices though. Ironically, I feel many of the great apps and games are underpriced for what you get. The music though? Yeah, it's a tad expensive and I rarely get music from the iTunes Store. It's not even the pricing as much as the completely proprietary nature of the music. If I buy an mp3 on amazon or where ever I can play it on any device but an iTunes song plays only on apple devices. That's an issue for me too.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I think the large commission contributes to the higher prices though. Ironically, I feel many of the great apps and games are underpriced for what you get. The music though? Yeah, it's a tad expensive and I rarely get music from the iTunes Store. It's not even the pricing as much as the completely proprietary nature of the music. If I buy an mp3 on amazon or where ever I can play it on any device but an iTunes song plays only on apple devices. That's an issue for me too.
Actually, iTunes music will play on any device or computer capable of installing iTunes, such as all the Windows PC's and most Windows tablets.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
That is so true One can play music on
any device that supports iTunes

I purchase music and lots of it from iTunes and have no issues with price . I have also my 300 plus cd's converted to iTunes which makes a great collection. Life is too short iTunes on Apple TV is magic so easy to use and makes life enjoyable when wanting to try before yu buy albums and songs. I have looked at alternative music providers and decided it was not worth switching. It is the sheer convenience and ease of use that makes it so enjoyable

silverado8405

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iTunes may be expensive music wise but as said before, it's convenient. If I buy a song off amazon I have to go on the computer and transfer it over to the phone (no streaming for me as I don't always get signal in my office) before I can listen to it. Buy it on iTunes and it's downloaded to my phone and I only have to transfer it back to the library when I do my backup.

Sent from my iPhone 5S using iPF

Fred Garvin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I set iTunes to mp3's.....anything I get from iTunes, I create an mp3 version and delete the Apple format. My music will play anywhere.

I remember when CDs first came out....they were $19.99 and some were $24.99. It took years to drop to $14.99 and then $9.99 to $12.99. For the most part, iTunes is pretty much the same as the record stores were.

I'm surprised the OP is praising Amazon.....I'm an avid Kindle user... And over the last year or so I'm pizzed about ebook prices! Used to be, the paper book was $8.99 and the Kindle version was $4.99.....now, in most cases, the Kindle version is the same price, or more, than the paper copy!
Many books, you can get a used copy in excellent shape for a penny.... With $3.99 shipping, that's $4 for a book....sometimes a hardback! The digital copy is $$$$.

Amazon ain't smellin like a rose here......this is coming from a Prime Member and daily shopper.

iPad Air 32Gb Wi-Fi; 17" MacBook Pro; 24" iMac; iPhone 4; iPod Nano 6th Gen; iPod Shuffle; Apple TV 2

Elizellen

iPF Novice
Reaction score
In the UK online books have VAT on them but paper books don't. Needs addressed.
Good point! :thumbs: . . . . However this is a UK Government issue rather than anything to do with Apple or Amazon :( . . . . Perhaps we need to set up a petition on the 10 Downing Street website to bring this to the attention of the powers that be (or would like to be)???

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, iTunes music will play on any device or computer capable of installing iTunes, such as all the Windows PC's and most Windows tablets.
Correct but requiring iTunes to be installed and be the player still makes it kind of proprietary IMO. It's not like truly raw MP3 files where they can go anywhere and be played or copied at will without any software having to be present. And, unless I'm mistaken there is no iTunes for android so android users are shut out of this completely.

Not the end of the world but certainly something to consider. iTunes software isn't all that great either, IMO!

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct but requiring iTunes to be installed and be the player still makes it kind of proprietary IMO. It's not like truly raw MP3 files where they can go anywhere and be played or copied at will without any software having to be present. And, unless I'm mistaken there is no iTunes for android so android users are shut out of this completely.

Not the end of the world but certainly something to consider. iTunes software isn't all that great either, IMO!
Whatever else it may be, iTunes is the largest online music store in the world, with 80% of the market.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I disagree. iTunes on the PC is simply a portal into Apple's system. It's not required to play the files you get from iTunes (well, it may be for movies, but those are DRM controlled). There is nothing proprietary about an MP3 that can play on any device. Personally, I dread iTunes for Windows even after all this time, but I'm not going to claim I can't get my mp3s to any other device, because I can. Android is not a desktop OS, so having iTunes for Android is a non-issue. I'm an Android user and I'm not locked out of anything. There is no Google Play app for iOS but I would not expect such. So expecting some kind of iTunes app for Android doesn't make a lot of sense.

Accidentalmeme

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Actually, i took all the music from iTunes and set them to a file which I can share with ALL my devices that SUPPORT MUSIC PLABACK

Most reactions

Latest posts