What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review - Treegloo - Customisable Moleskine-style iPad Case

hanoverfiste

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just received my TreeGloo and I must say the craftmanship is amazing. I dont even know where to start. I will post photos when I get the chance but I can assure you as of right now my IPad is not leaving this case.

2011-02-05215105.jpg

2011-02-05214949.jpg

2011-02-05214914.jpg

The one of the subway maps does not do this justice, I couldn't get above the IPad because of my light I will try again, I have to say I have only had this case for a day and I love it

Last edited:
OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
"Second Generation" case redesign -- review update

Treegloo "Second Generation" Case Redesign -- Review update

I've just received, exactly two weeks ago, what I've begun to think of as the "second generation" Moleskine-style iPad case from Treegloo.

Before I continue, a full disclaimer: I received this case because I incurred damage on my case and asked them some questions about repair, and they deemed it was sufficiently a defect (even though I've continued to use it perfectly) and sent me a replacement under warranty. The case I am reviewing was also designed for a 1st generation iPad, although most of its features will apply equally to cases for either version.

As I opened up the parcel from Treegloo, I was once again reminded of the first time I received their iPad case. A handwritten greeting and thank-you note on the brown paper. An elegant yet succinct introduction card, with the hand-stamped serial number and some care instructions. I had no expectations at all, thinking it would be more or less the same product as what I already had - they only hinted that "some design and material improvements" had been made since I acquired the first case.

That was an understatement. The differences between the new case and the old are quite tangible.

The first thing which struck me was how much the material for the outer covering had changed. Originally, the surface material was very close to the smooth, Moleskine-styled faux-leather vinyl. Treegloo's new material has a lot more distinctive texture and has improved tactile feel, with an almost neoprene-like "sponginess." Having already used it for a fortnight, the toughness of the material is more scratch-resistant, whilst at the same time, the ruggedness of the texture makes it easier to carry around.

As for the frame itself: the finishing of the suede was as impeccable as ever, with the usual fine-grain natural blemishes in the wood which gives it a unique look and character. I've also inquired with Treegloo, and ascertained that my replacement case does not feature their improved Series 2 frame design announced a few days ago as of this writing.

When I attempt to double-fold the cover over (carefully), it folds over without any fuss or stress on the binding or liner. Of course, they included the Paris historic map as my customized inner liner. If you've seen the posts above, you'll also know that I created a wallpaper (with Treegloo's amazing customer service help) which seamlessly matched the city map - and the new case matched my wallpaper perfectly.

In conclusion: I was quite satisfied with the original case, but in so many unexpected ways the redesigned features are a great improvement over the original. (I suppose mine's more of a "1.5th gen" hybrid as it doesn't fully include all the new features.) As before, it was made with Treegloo's usual high level of care and craftsmanship, from the book-binding technique used to create the cover to the quality of the hand-sanded wooden frame, coupled with sustainable practices.

I greatly appreciate that the designers and craftsmen at Treegloo have not been complacent, but have continued to improve and refine their product, adding a lot more customization options since I first discovered them. They have just announced the launch of their Series 2 cases from Mar 28 (Monday), including cases for iPad 2nd gen. Considering that their prices are about the same or slightly higher than overseas factory-made covers from other mass-market brands, these cases are fantastic value for money.

Their website is at -- Treegloo Products - Customizable, Durable, Eco-friendly Cases | Made by Hand in the USA

Last edited:
OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Having problems uploading to Photobucket, so attaching them here.

The first set is the new Series 2 exterior and interiors (on an original frame), including the "seamless" matching wallpaper and in landscape working mode.

Attachments

• Treegloo2-001.jpg
    Treegloo2-001.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 553
  • Treegloo2-002.jpg
    Treegloo2-002.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 341
  • Treegloo2-003.jpg
    Treegloo2-003.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 315
  • Treegloo2-004.jpg
    Treegloo2-004.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 365
  • Treegloo2-005.jpg
    Treegloo2-005.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 388
OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This set is a quick comparison between the original and Series 2 exteriors and material. The original case is on the left and the Series 2 case is on the right. The colour of this particular build is Super Espresso.

As you can see, the Series 2 material has a more detailed texture, and provides more tactile sensation when carried in the hand. It also resists casual wear and tear a lot better than the original material. The original "Super Espresso" was quite dark (almost indistinguishable from black, come to think of it), but the newer colour is clearly a deep shade of brown.

Attachments

• Treegloo2-Compare-001.jpg
    Treegloo2-Compare-001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 453
  • Treegloo2-Compare-002.jpg
    Treegloo2-Compare-002.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 487
  • Treegloo2-Compare-003.jpg
    Treegloo2-Compare-003.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 505

heavyhitter504

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hello, first time poster here...just purchased 2 of these cases for the iPad 2 off of treegloo's website. I'm very excited to see the quality that you speak about in person, and another thing that I'd like to mention is treegloo's customer service. I used facebook as a means of communication and they literally responded to each of my questions within 2 minutes. Not only that, they also refunded me partial credit for shipping since I bought 2 cases almost instantaneously. If the quality of the case is HALF of the quality of their customer service, I'd be satisfied.

greygoose

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had taken an interest in treeglo, but once I saw they wanted to charge extra for a camera hole. I said f'em. What a scam. Go with dodocase. Plus, dodocase doesn't have weird looking corners like treeglo has.

Camera Port
+ $7.50

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
greygoose said:
I had taken an interest in treeglo, but once I saw they wanted to charge extra for a camera hole. I said f'em. What a scam. Go with dodocase. Plus, dodocase doesn't have weird looking corners like treeglo has.

Camera Port
+ $7.50

I guess that's for the additional effort to put the camera port in (since it takes time and work to cut a hole and stitch the outer cover and liner around it) - but I'd look at the total overall cost, rather than pinch pennies component by component. Personally I think their redesigned Series 2 frame with the bevelled access points perfectly complements the sleek curves of the iPad itself.

As for Dodo, their ongoing problems with durability especially around their corner pads and splitting frames (causing the device to drop out) have been quite widely documented, including a couple of videos on YouTube. Just Google around and you'll find quite a number of ex-Dodo users who've given up with them.

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A couple of new looks from Treegloo just up on Facebook - Unicorn White cover and Dark Chocolate frame. Having the white elastic on the white cover is a clever idea.

208474_200745403279230_141372539216517_605190_6902160_n.jpg

206746_200746379945799_141372539216517_605209_3980400_n.jpg

Updates to their website incorporating these new options to be up later this evening...

HKWrite12

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tzimisce said:
A couple of new looks from Treegloo just up on Facebook - Unicorn White cover and Dark Chocolate frame. Having the white elastic on the white cover is a clever idea.

Updates to their website incorporating these new options to be up later this evening...

That white is so hot but I need the stand feature.

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
HKWrite12 said:
That white is so hot but I need the stand feature.

Check out their Facebook page - they have quite a few more pictures there, including I believe the case in stand-up video viewing mode.

OP
tzimisce

tzimisce

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And closeups of their Series 2 rear camera port, made from milled aluminum seated on a rubber inlay:

200654_200892226597881_141372539216517_606155_7499029_n.jpg

199722_200892249931212_141372539216517_606156_1238939_n.jpg

Most reactions