Returning the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by hookbill, Nov 17, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    The volume rocker on my iPad doesn't work when increasing volume only when decreasing it. I'm going to have them ship me a replacement and I'll ship this one bace.

It's a real bummer, I'll probably get a refurb. Anyway has anybody else had to have their iPad replaced and was it new or refurb?

2. RoadPilot

RoadPilot
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, "refurb" doesn't mean it was beat to hell and then they just wiped it down and sent it back out.

For example, someone could have received an iPad with a volume button that only works when decreasing the sound. They replace the button, ensure everything else is OK, and send it out as a "refurb".

3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Just remember to backup you iPad before you send it in!

4. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    All the "referbs" have new cases & screens too! There isn't any way you can tell. I got a referb back from apple on one of my iPhones & it had a little crack by the volume rocker and they replaced it too.

5. gjperera

gjperera
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    At the end of the day the refurb unit is probably scrutinized more than the new unit. I've gotten iPhone refurb's before and honestly there is not telling the difference between new and refurb units.

6. hookbill

hookbill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Good to know. Usually all you hear is bad stuff about refurbs.:)

One thing I didn't like. In order for me to have it sent out right away I had to purchase the Apple Care Package. Otherwise I would have to ship them my iPad and wait 3-5 days. Or longer who knows?

Kind of disappointing, most companies will just take your credit card and ship out something knew to you right away without charging you an extra 99.00.

7. RoadPilot

RoadPilot
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Depends upon the company, but I think that *most* of that is largely due to a false stigma attached to the idea of a "refurb", not actual issues involving refurbished units.

Now that is odd. :confused:

8. gentlefury

gentlefury
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    If you have an apple store near you they will swap it out in store....anytime I've had to do that it's come off the shelf.

9. iPad Guru

iPad Guru
    Expand Collapse
    iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    With any company other than Apple, I would stay away from "refurb." However, I have two Mini's, a PowerBook Pro, Time Capsule, and four Air Port Express devices that are all refurbished from Apple. I've also purchased at least six iPod devices over the years that were also refurbs. Everything I've gotten looked new out of the box; everything I've gotten has the same warrenty as new; and, everything I've gotten worked. I saved hundreds of dollars by buying from the refurbished section, and I was able to get extended warranties on every device.
    With that being said, I did buy the iPad new and had it delivered day one. It was the first new Apple device I've purchased in years.

10. hookbill

hookbill
    Expand Collapse
    iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Nearest store is 15 miles away. I was surprised to find one that close. Never seen one before.