1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Returning the iPad

Discussion in 'iPad General Discussions' started by hookbill, Nov 17, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    The volume rocker on my iPad doesn't work when increasing volume only when decreasing it. I'm going to have them ship me a replacement and I'll ship this one bace.

It's a real bummer, I'll probably get a refurb. Anyway has anybody else had to have their iPad replaced and was it new or refurb?
  2. RoadPilot

RoadPilot iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I wouldn't worry about it. Remember, "refurb" doesn't mean it was beat to hell and then they just wiped it down and sent it back out.

For example, someone could have received an iPad with a volume button that only works when decreasing the sound. They replace the button, ensure everything else is OK, and send it out as a "refurb".
  3. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    Just remember to backup you iPad before you send it in!
  4. Dannyboy85

Dannyboy85 iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    All the "referbs" have new cases & screens too! There isn't any way you can tell. I got a referb back from apple on one of my iPhones & it had a little crack by the volume rocker and they replaced it too.
  5. gjperera

gjperera iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    At the end of the day the refurb unit is probably scrutinized more than the new unit. I've gotten iPhone refurb's before and honestly there is not telling the difference between new and refurb units.
  6. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Good to know. Usually all you hear is bad stuff about refurbs.:)

One thing I didn't like. In order for me to have it sent out right away I had to purchase the Apple Care Package. Otherwise I would have to ship them my iPad and wait 3-5 days. Or longer who knows?

Kind of disappointing, most companies will just take your credit card and ship out something knew to you right away without charging you an extra 99.00.
  7. RoadPilot

RoadPilot iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Depends upon the company, but I think that *most* of that is largely due to a false stigma attached to the idea of a "refurb", not actual issues involving refurbished units.

Now that is odd. :confused:
  8. gentlefury

gentlefury iPad Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    If you have an apple store near you they will swap it out in store....anytime I've had to do that it's come off the shelf.
  9. iPad Guru

iPad Guru iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    With any company other than Apple, I would stay away from "refurb." However, I have two Mini's, a PowerBook Pro, Time Capsule, and four Air Port Express devices that are all refurbished from Apple. I've also purchased at least six iPod devices over the years that were also refurbs. Everything I've gotten looked new out of the box; everything I've gotten has the same warrenty as new; and, everything I've gotten worked. I saved hundreds of dollars by buying from the refurbished section, and I was able to get extended warranties on every device.
    With that being said, I did buy the iPad new and had it delivered day one. It was the first new Apple device I've purchased in years.
  10. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Nearest store is 15 miles away. I was surprised to find one that close. Never seen one before.
  11. col.bris

col.bris Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +456 / 0
    Yes hook take it direct they will replace it best way mate. Sorry you had an issues
  12. jkhonea

jkhonea iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Like everyone else said Hook, the Apple refurbs are a totally different beast. Whenever I look at ordering computers, iPods, anything bigger from Apple, I ALWAYS look at the refurbs first. The quality is top notch. You will NOT tell it isn't brand new. And hte refurbs they sell have full warranties, just like new. Plus, if there are updates in hardware, things like that, you'll actually be better off since the refurb will have that installed. You'll be great.
  13. mwhartman

mwhartman Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0
    Hook, check out the one on one at the Apple store. When I purchased my MBP, I purchased a one year contract for $100. I can schedule a one hour appointment at any Apple store and a Apple Expert will work with me on any issue or question that I may have.

Mike
  14. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I need some more help

I see how the iPad automatically backs up when syncing, but apparently ist doesn't back up your music and books. It says that you need to back this up to a CD. Whoa, I have way too much stuff for a CD.

And another thing I find odd is under books it only has one book listed, "Winnie the Pooh." I never bought Winnie the Pooh I bought Lightning by Dean Koontz yet I don't see it listed under books. How do I back up music and books to iTunes and why doesn't my book show up?
  15. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Never Minde...I got it.

I still don't know why Winnie the Pooh is listed as a book but I did discover that since the book I am concerned about is in my Kindle app that when the apps are restored I'll see the book too.
  16. mwhartman

mwhartman Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +117 / 0
    Did you check the settings to music and books?
  17. iPadCharlie

iPadCharlie iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7 / 0
    All of your music and books are on your computer so there is no need to back them up. All of your "stuff" is under your home folder under Music | iTunes | iTunes Music, even your books. "Winnie the Pooh" is a freebie that everyone got automatically. You will have to re-sync all of your music and books after you get your new/replacement iPad.

As far as your Kindle stuff, all you have to do is start the Kindle app on your new/replacement iPad with your Amazon account and you will have access to your Kindle library. You will probably(?) have to re-download whatever books you want from your Amazon library to your iPad, but you already own them so there is no charge for this.

Clear as mud, eh?
  18. Tinman

Tinman iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I concur on what all have said about Apple refurbs. I would go far as to say they are likely better. They have been personally looked over and checked out by Apple. The new units are rolling off the line as fast as possible and do not get that kind of care and attention.

Michael
  19. jkhonea

jkhonea iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Exactly right. That has always been my experience. Best way to go. I wish all the companies refurb policies were as good as Apple's.
  20. hookbill

hookbill iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well, I got the refurb and it looks as good as new. I'm pleased.

I did notice however a slight nick in the one I'm returning and it's right by the volume rocker. It's kind of hard to see but it's there. I hope they don't say I caused this, because that will cost me 500.00.:(

I missed the part where it said sync books and music, but that's ok. I really don't need the music on my iPad and if I do I have an app that will grab it from my mac and play the files for me.