What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retrieve imessages?

Smartassery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Accidentally deleted a very important conversation from my iPhone thinking that it would exist on my iPad. However, it's not there.

Is there a way to recover it?

Thanks in advance.

addiosamigo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When was the last time you backed up your phone? was it via iCloud or through iTunes? If it was iCloud and you haven't backed up since you deleted the message then you could restore back but you would lose anything you had after the deletion. If you backed up via iTunes (and again haven't backed up since the deletion) you could use a tool such as backup extractor for windows/mac and get the message that way (although you would only be able to read it not put it back onto the iPhone unless you retired your phone to that backup)

OP
S

Smartassery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Haven't backed up at all since then. I'm not sure it ever got to the cloud. Don't know how I'd find out.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm not sure that Message history is backed up; but that is where it would be if anywhere.

Check the dates of your last backups. If the date is after the conversation, but before you deleted it, you might be in luck. Be aware that a restore from backup is all or nothing. It will remove all app data from after that date.

Depending on where you've got your backups set to save:

On the computer, check Preferences, the Devices tab.

On the iPad, check Settings > iCloud > Storage & Backup > Manage Storage; then your device in the Backups list.

Note if you've got iCloud backups going, then it usually does an auto-backup at night when you've got it charging, so it is probably already too late.

Most reactions

Latest posts