What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retreiving in-app purchases.

Jadeywadey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently updated my iPad to the new OS and it completely cleared my iPad of. All my apps. I'm not sure it was supposed to do this but wasn't a problem as they are easily retrievable. However there was one app which I had bought an in app purchase and when I retrieved the app it didn't come with what I'd added. (it was a baby signing app and I'd bought an in app purchase so it shows more signs )

Is there anyway to get this back without buying it again?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Usually, in app purchases can just be purchased again [in app]. Then, after you've put in your password, you should see a pop-up that says something like "you've already bought this, so do you want to download it [free]?" You press yes/okay and the in-app purchase goes through.

Or, sometimes, I've see a button in the app's settings that says something like "restore purchases" and pressing that button, well, restores your in app upgrades.

I've not been charged [yet - knock on wood] by "re-buying" an in-app purchase after re-installing an app. I can't guarantee this won't happen, but I'm pretty sure it won't.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Marilyn

Kiffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was wondering if it cleared your iPad of all apps, or just those purchased through iTunes or the app store. I have medical apps that I bought which I would be quite upset to lose, but I want to update to the ios5. now I'm concerned about the upgrade.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, I don't see what your problem could be, given that you can legally only buy apps from the App Store, whether it's via iTunes or on the iPad itself.

Apple keeps a record of all your purchases and you can easily re-load them, even after an upgrade, and with no further charge.

So, upgrade with no worries!

Marilyn

Kiffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, there are apps I have that I received as a faculty member, and though I loaded them using iTunes, they weren't purchased, they were the result of a grant. I've no idea how to go about updating them if I lose them. BTW, why should we have to update lost apps with a supposedly improved os? Doesn't make sense. Feels like being trapped...

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well, there are apps I have that I received as a faculty member, and though I loaded them using iTunes, they weren't purchased, they were the result of a grant. I've no idea how to go about updating them if I lose them. BTW, why should we have to update lost apps with a supposedly improved os? Doesn't make sense. Feels like being trapped...

Oh. I learn something new every day! Cool about getting apps via a grant.

If you do a back-up of those apps (from your iPad to iTunes), then they shouldn't be lost (to include the info in them) when you do an upgrade. When you are done upgrading the iPad, do a "restore from backup" and iTunes should put your apps and info back on the iPad, making it like it was before, only with the new firmware.

If something were to happen in the upgrade process, iTunes will have those apps anyway, so you can transfer them back over to the iPad.

It's not that you "lose" apps, per se. It's that, up to iOS 5.0, Apple's way of upgrading firmware was a full wipe of the old and then a fresh install of the new. The iPad was always set back to factory state, then the user had to rebuild it. We had to do this with the new iOS 5, but now, it is designed to do Over the Air (OTA) incremental updates, which should do incremental updates without having to wipe out your existing settings. We know this worked because people moved to iOS 5.0.1 very easily and did not lose anything on their iPads. So, although this is probably more info than you needed, having to transfer apps back and forth after a new software release is probably now a thing of the past.

Now, we just have to hope that app developers keep up with all the changes.

I hope some of this helps reassure.

Marilyn

Kiffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well 4 days and multiple multiple downloads later, I have most of the apps, including the work ones I was concerned about. I was without a working iPad, and my computer was tied up downloading most of those days, so I recommend you have a back-up plan for any computer work that absolutely must get done. Can't open any books in my I-books. Can't stomach another synch a attempt for a few days though.

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
You must have a slow Internet as that makes no sense the apps are small and down load is fast. Bayou can also download direct via wifi then sync and all your apps will ne copied back to the computer.

Kiffy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
col.bris said:
You must have a slow Internet as that makes no sense the apps are small and down load is fast. Bayou can also download direct via wifi then sync and all your apps will ne copied back to the computer.[/QUOT]

Well, it may be the Internet, although it seems to have no problem with anything else, and it sat quite near the router for 2 of the days. I find that the idea that something doesn't make sense not very helpful regarding the iPad and iTouch products, as I have had many experiences that "have not made sense." For example, trying to get a class of nursing students able to download apps on their apple products, and many experiencing multiple difficulties, although it "should" have worked. Eventually they either stuck with it and were successful, or gave up trying. That's how I knew to just keep on trying, after that experience, and it worked out eventually ( except for not being able to open anything in iBooks, like I said). I have to give Apple a lot of credit, as they have made accessing information so easy, and that has helped nurses, patients, and educators a great deal. However, when things don't work well, it would be nice if Apple would make that acknowledgement and take responsibility. Despite my frustrating days spent downloading and worrying about my investment, I was glad to have the iPad forum to turn to, as people contributing have a lot of great suggestions which I have put to use.

OP
J

Jadeywadey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It worked, I went to purchase. It again and after I entered the password it let me download for free. I was reluctant todo it for a while in case it did charge me. Thanks all.

Most reactions