What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retina with yellow screen :-(

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mine arrived a few days ago direct from Shenzhen but unfortunately I have a noticeable change in screen temperature across the panel. Nearest the home button is noticeably yellow or warm compared to the top part which is a very cool white, almost bluish. I've booked an appointment at my nearest Genius Bar on Monday but they don't show any poverty packs (16gb wifi only lol) as in stock so even if they agree there's an issue I don't like my chances of an immediate in store swap.

So I might have to wait, pay to upgrade or roll the dice on another unit direct from the orient. I'm thinking the former is safest as I don't want to be swapping again... Anyone else noticed a similar issue? I realise screen temp varies from panel to panel and having owned every model of ipad I can live with the variance if it's consistent but this is too annoying...

I didn't want to believe apple skimped on the display but they do appear to be having a few issues with the new model including burn in :-(

I do love the retina display though it really makes the mini!

Last edited:

Jodi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A store can be out of stock for new purchases, but still have one in reserve for swapping out if someone has a faulty device. Keep your appointment & see how you go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The first one I bought had a really bad blue tint coming from the top by the camera. It seemed like blue backlight bleeding or something. Took it to Apple store and they said it wasn't normal obviously so they switched it out. It was bugging me so bad after only a day. Definitely get it swapped out. I didn't have any yellowing though.

OP
M

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well a bit of a waste of time that was. Took it back, got it swapped only to find the yellowing on this one is EVEN WORSE. Looks like my next trip to the Apple Store will be to request a refund :-(

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I opened the new iPad mini while I was there so I wouldn't have to make another trip.

OP
M

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Meh there's obviously an issue with mini retina screens so mine is going back to apple for refund. I will stick with my work provided ipad 4 for now. I love the mini form factor but for the price I'm not prepared to put up with screens that aren't up to scratch...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Let's face it....Apple is charging premium prices for the mini and the iPad line as a whole. I won't accept a screen with noticeable variation in color temp across the screen. This is a problem with the first units off the line...I'm sure the problems will be tweaked in production, but that means waiting a few months for the bugs in assembly to get worked out. That sucks, but then life sometimes sucks. Holding off several months to buy an iPad is definitely a 1st-world problem (i.e., this is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, so deal with it!)

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Or you could just buy one now and once they get the screens perfected take it in and swap it for a better one at an Apple store of course. I think I got lucky with this one. I've seen several demo units with a bit of blue hue at the top and that would drive me nuts. Mine does not have that, mine is much warmer than those.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Or you could just buy one now and once they get the screens perfected take it in and swap it for a better one at an Apple store of course. I think I got lucky with this one. I've seen several demo units with a bit of blue hue at the top and that would drive me nuts. Mine does not have that, mine is much warmer than those.

After the 14-day period, you can only swap it if an authorized Apple employee approves it. Too much money on the line to give up my own power to decide on a swap or not.

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
After the 14-day period, you can only swap it if an authorized Apple employee approves it. Too much money on the line to give up my own power to decide on a swap or not.

Oh okay I see your point there.

OP
M

MonoJoker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Let's face it....Apple is charging premium prices for the mini and the iPad line as a whole. I won't accept a screen with noticeable variation in color temp across the screen. This is a problem with the first units off the line...I'm sure the problems will be tweaked in production, but that means waiting a few months for the bugs in assembly to get worked out. That sucks, but then life sometimes sucks. Holding off several months to buy an iPad is definitely a 1st-world problem (i.e., this is no big deal in the grand scheme of things, so deal with it!)

Yeah I'm not losing sleep about it or taking to the intrawebz on some crusade to destroy apple over it. I had a go at replacing, saw the same issue so I will wait for confirmation the quality issues are sorted before jumping back on the horse. Life goes on :)

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yeah I'm not losing sleep about it or taking to the intrawebz on some crusade to destroy apple over it. I had a go at replacing, saw the same issue so I will wait for confirmation the quality issues are sorted before jumping back on the horse. Life goes on :)

Mine will arrive tomorrow. I'll report my findings.

MrDoug

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Mini 2 doesn't have a Yellow background when reading webpages but close to it compared to my Nexus 7.2.. the Nexus has a more Black and White reading experience.. I have compared them side by side.. but not that big a deal.. although I wish the Mini had a better white looking background..mine is not Yellow but not white or slight grey.. Nexus has it beat for contrast on web page reading.. but since I have both.. it's OK.. the size of the Mini subsidizes/makes up for that..the 8" screen is the ticket vs 7 inch Nexus screen..but I must say the Nexus 7.2 has a slightly better contrast with black on white.. Mini more cream color..
Doug

Last edited:

Toyeboy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry I don't see how to edit that last post. Anyway my new 64GB has a bad yellow tint along the entire bottom by the home button. It's unacceptable especially considering my other screen was perfect so I'm doing an exchange through the mail for free through Apple.com. I'm disappointed I guess because I LOVED the white one I had except I was out of storage already. It really surprises me this one passed quality control. Has anyone ever done the return process through mail ? Just wondering what to expect..

Most reactions

Latest posts