What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retina display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frosty2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bought the iPad 2 but just wondering am I missing out by not having the retina display?? Thanks all.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Frosty2000 said:
Bought the iPad 2 but just wondering am I missing out by not having the retina display?? Thanks all.

If you can return / sell it to get the new pad then, YES!!! If you've had it for a while and can't / won't buy a new one still no worries as you have an iPad to use that is great also. I do love my new pad, its faster and the display is crystal clear. I also have iPad 2 that a received as a birthday gift so this is actually my first iPad that I purchased on my own.

Sent from my WiFi Black 64GB iPad with Retina Display in NYC using iPF

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So, you just bought a new device and you are looking for us to spoil it for you?

IMO, yes, you are missing out. The retina display is very nice. Also, the newer iPads have more memory (referring to the Gen 3 and 4) and faster processors. But your iPad 2 will play all the software designed for an iPad, so what you are really missing, IMO, is the high-resolution screen.

The retina display is something that you may not value. But you can see its benefit in almost everything you do on an iPad. Webpages, e-books, photos. Not that the iPad 2 is poor, because is it not. But the 3nd and 4th gen iPads are fantastic in this regard. IMO, if you plan to keep your iPad for a long time, and if you can afford the extra, it will be money well spent. But if you are trying to to save money (and there are plenty of good reasons to do so), the iPad 2 is an excellent choice and you won't be denied the ability to run apps. IMO, the reason for a tablet is to run apps. The more quality apps, the better.

If you never look at a retina screen, then you can be happy with what you have.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
So, you just bought a new device and you are looking for us to spoil it for you?

IMO, yes, you are missing out. The retina display is very nice. Also, the newer iPads have more memory (referring to the Gen 3 and 4) and faster processors. But your iPad 2 will play all the software designed for an iPad, so what you are really missing, IMO, is the high-resolution screen.

The retina display is something that you may not value. But you can see its benefit in almost everything you do on an iPad. Webpages, e-books, photos. Not that the iPad 2 is poor, because is it not. But the 3nd and 4th gen iPads are fantastic in this regard. IMO, if you plan to keep your iPad for a long time, and if you can afford the extra, it will be money well spent. But if you are trying to to save money (and there are plenty of good reasons to do so), the iPad 2 is an excellent choice and you won't be denied the ability to run apps. IMO, the reason for a tablet is to run apps. The more quality apps, the better.

If you never look at a retina screen, then you can be happy with what you have.

I had the easier and "kinder" reply lol!!! Oh, yes, I keep the nice new iPad at home for safe keeping and iPad 2 stays in my purse to use when I am not at home with tethering from my iPhone 4 or wifi. I am saving for the new iMac (if it ever becomes available to purchase) so I figured what's an extra 600 bucks lol.

OP
F

Frosty2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I am a little saddened I bought it on eBay so not sure how that is going to go. The iPad 2 still seems pretty good though, but. Do want to use it for music and video so yeah ummmm. Hindsight is fantastic yes?? Will this bad boy still run everything I need ?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Frosty2000 said:
Well I am a little saddened I bought it on eBay so not sure how that is going to go. The iPad 2 still seems pretty good though, but. Do want to use it for music and video so yeah ummmm. Hindsight is fantastic yes?? Will this bad boy still run everything I need ?

An iPad 2 that's on iOS 6.0.1 will run any app available in the AppStore, unless the app requires GPS and yours is wifi only. It may be a little slower than the iPads 3&4, but it'll get the job done.

OP
F

Frosty2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It does seem o run everything ok. I guess it's he screen this a let down but still it is fantastic!!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It does seem o run everything ok. I guess it's he screen this a let down but still it is fantastic!!

I have an iPad mini which is really just a smaller iPad 2. All my apps run just fine. You have nothing to be worried about.

buerkletucson

iPF Novice
Reaction score

I guess I wonder why people purchase something then research the device after the purchase only to find out they are missing something?
I'm on the other extreme......I research the crap out of something before I purchase as I don't want any surprises after I spend a lot of hard earned money.

The retina display is fantastic and is a huge step from the iPad 2 IMHO........but it also depends on what you do with the device.
If you really want the iPad 4 with the retina display maybe you could try re-listing the one you have on eBay?

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I went from the 2 to the 3 in a few days time spam and I don't regret the upgrade as the RD kicks major buttocks.

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
An iPad 2 that's on iOS 6.0.1 will run any app available in the AppStore, unless the app requires GPS and yours is wifi only. It may be a little slower than the iPads 3&4, but it'll get the job done.

Yes, iOS 6 helps a lot.

OP
F

Frosty2000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I always research everything I buy, and that's what others me the most. But I did pay $300AU for it so maybe for the amount of money I paid its ok. Web I see how much more the retina display ones are (around 650 au) then maybe it's not that bad.

I find that none of the websites are really hd anyway? So it could be wasted, I dunno. I'll stick with it I give, maybe I'm just whinging. For an extra 250 I could have the display but is this a lemon? Are the iPad 2 no good??

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I always research everything I buy, and that's what others me the most. But I did pay $300AU for it so maybe for the amount of money I paid its ok. Web I see how much more the retina display ones are (around 650 au) then maybe it's not that bad.

I find that none of the websites are really hd anyway? So it could be wasted, I dunno. I'll stick with it I give, maybe I'm just whinging. For an extra 250 I could have the display but is this a lemon? Are the iPad 2 no good??

Your device is fine. I'm not sure what else can be said about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts