What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

retina display overload my eyes :)

Doctor Hades

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Could it be the refresh rate of the display?

Android devices with the new Jellybean installed update 60 times per second with v-sync enabled (to prevent screen tearing) whereas the iPad looks like it updates slower (30 fps?) without v-sync as I've noticed a kind of 'wobble' effect, similar to screen tearing, on the image when scrolling slowly horizonally or vertically on my iPad 4 and then moving it up and down (or left and right) more quickly. It definitely doesn't scroll as smoothly as it does on my Samsung GS3 with Jellybean v4.1.2 installed and I'd imagine that it could be noticeable for people with sensitive eyes, perhaps even enough to cause eye strain or headaches. Real Racing 2 HD for example seems to have a really low framerate on my iPad 4 (20-30 fps), although it doesn't bother me especially as I'm used to playing console games!

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Maybe I am just getting older :) 40 now And I am not getting younger :) Probably something with my eyes. The only doubt is the TF 700-have no issue. Folks, thank you for your replies.

I have you by some 14 years...and I stare at a lot of screens. You might get in the habit of shifting your eyes a lot...keeping a window around to look out at...bu the simple fact is that out of the mix, we each "get what we get" and we have to deal with it. None of the screens bother me, but funny thing is if I play a first-person shooter type game I get ill...quickly, even on a tablet. I have to be in a really cold room to avoid it. I used to buy PC games but I finally quit because I could not deal with this condition. It might have to do with the refresh rates of the various screens...I don't know..but they only time it is an issue is with FPS games. Regular stuff like scrolling and read is not a problem....and I don't "micro-stare", concentrating on tiny details of what's going on on the screen.

I find the retina iPad screen to be a lovely thing to behold...to my eyes, it is overall the best screen on a tablet..the nexus 10 has higher resolution, but there is more light bleed (on mine). Textwise, they are so close together that it is hard to tell the difference. I think the iPad wins on images, though, but this kind of thing is highly subjective, IMO.

OP
MILJAN

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I have you by some 14 years...and I stare at a lot of screens. You might get in the habit of shifting your eyes a lot...keeping a window around to look out at...bu the simple fact is that out of the mix, we each "get what we get" and we have to deal with it. None of the screens bother me, but funny thing is if I play a first-person shooter type game I get ill...quickly, even on a tablet. I have to be in a really cold room to avoid it. I used to buy PC games but I finally quit because I could not deal with this condition. It might have to do with the refresh rates of the various screens...I don't know..but they only time it is an issue is with FPS games. Regular stuff like scrolling and read is not a problem....and I don't "micro-stare", concentrating on tiny details of what's going on on the screen.

I find the retina iPad screen to be a lovely thing to behold...to my eyes, it is overall the best screen on a tablet..the nexus 10 has higher resolution, but there is more light bleed (on mine). Textwise, they are so close together that it is hard to tell the difference. I think the iPad wins on images, though, but this kind of thing is highly subjective, IMO.

I definitely agree. That's why i have iPad 4. The best graphic performance i ever saw on tablet. That is why I was a little bit worried about my vision problems, since so far , doctor said that my vision is okay. Somebody just mentioned here, that other source of ligh might be a problem. I think I got idea, what seems to be the problem.

Sent from my iPad 4

OP
MILJAN

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Position off ceiling light is in bad position for my eyes and that is the reason for vision problem. When I change my usual position when using iPad I have no problem with eyes. Thanks for your Replies

Sent from my iPad 4

OP
MILJAN

MILJAN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
rurocking said:
I would see an eye doctor, bring your device with you and explain to him what occurs.

Thank you for your posting. I have already been there and doctor said that my eyes is okay.

Most reactions

Latest posts