retina display overload my eyes :)

Discussion in 'iPad 4 Forum' started by MILJAN, Jan 28, 2013.

1. MILJAN

MILJAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well folks, I just noticed one thing. When I'm playing games on Asus TF 700 I have no problems with my eyes and my vision after the game. It is top class for HD screen.
    But after just 15 minutes playing 3D games on my iPad 4, I have shadows in the front of my eyes and sometimes blur in some points. Definitely too much pixels overload my eyes.
    Anyone else have the same experience as I have?

Sent from my iPad 4
  2. AQ_OC

AQ_OC Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    What kind of screen brightness are you using?
  3. MILJAN

MILJAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    It's set to "auto".Never to high..i know why you asking, but it's nothing to do with brightness i think..

Sent from my iPad 4
  4. buerkletucson

buerkletucson iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    I say it has everything to do with brightness.......take it off auto and set it to 30%
    "Pixel overload"........nonsense IMHO.
  5. Nikhil

Nikhil iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    If it still doesn't work then it's problem with the game graphics.
  6. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +600 / 0
    I play games at 30% brightness or lower.

AA

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  7. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Or this user is somehow sensitive to the iPad's retina screen.....weird things sometimes happen.
  8. MIKES3

MIKES3 iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Well, Retina Screen is just a slang term in the Apple community that apple uses. The difference between the Asus and the iPad 4 is 40 pixels per inch.

I think it's the brightness ;)
  9. MILJAN

MILJAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I set the brightness on 30 percent but it's still the same situation and only when I played 3D games.

Sent from my iPad 4
  10. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    Curious....I have an iPad 3 and had a TF700...I never had a problem. Had a Kindle Fire HD 8.9. Same deal. Now have a Nexus 10...once again, same deal. The screens are very similar. For me. Maybe your eyes or your iPad is somehow different. Hard to know...
  11. MILJAN

MILJAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Maybe I am just getting older :) 40 now And I am not getting younger :) Probably something with my eyes. The only doubt is the TF 700-have no issue. Folks, thank you for your replies.

Sent from my iPad 4
  12. iJamesH

iJamesH iPad Junkie

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +114 / 0
    You have Apple Retina Display Overload Syndrome a very serious condition. I suggest you make an appointment with a Genius at your nearest Apple store and see if they can fix your eyes I mean they're called Genius for a reason huh ;) :D
  13. MILJAN

MILJAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Well you talk me to. I'm going to run into Apple store right now. I wanna iPad with smaller resolution . Maybe iPad mini .....Man you are a genius ;) Seriously, only reason for this thread is that I need opinion off others people using high resolution tablet..

Sent from my iPad 4
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  14. dougrogers

dougrogers iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10 / 0
    Have you seen an optometrist? Seriously. The screen is bright and sharp. That's why I got this one, over my first generation. To compensate for fading aging eyesight, an astigmatism, and the faint lingering and changing cataract in my right eye. All things that were there before, but never were a problem for me, that I couldn't unconsciously compensate for.

Now that I wear my glasses much more, my eye fatigue from iPad use is far far less.
  15. AdmiralAdama

AdmiralAdama Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Near the Ionian Nebula, still searching for Earth
    Ratings:
    +600 / 0
    Have you tried playing games under different light conditions? Ambient vs., room lights on?

Also try holding the iPad at different distances away from you. An inch or two plus or minus could make a difference.

Finally, I play Need For Speed "Most Wanted"
    on iPad 2 and must admit I begin to have eye fatigue after 20 - 30 minutes. I'm 56 and wear eye bifocals.

AA

Sent from my iPhone using iPF
  16. Doctor Hades

Doctor Hades iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Could it be the refresh rate of the display?

Android devices with the new Jellybean installed update 60 times per second with v-sync enabled (to prevent screen tearing) whereas the iPad looks like it updates slower (30 fps?) without v-sync as I've noticed a kind of 'wobble' effect, similar to screen tearing, on the image when scrolling slowly horizonally or vertically on my iPad 4 and then moving it up and down (or left and right) more quickly. It definitely doesn't scroll as smoothly as it does on my Samsung GS3 with Jellybean v4.1.2 installed and I'd imagine that it could be noticeable for people with sensitive eyes, perhaps even enough to cause eye strain or headaches. Real Racing 2 HD for example seems to have a really low framerate on my iPad 4 (20-30 fps), although it doesn't bother me especially as I'm used to playing console games!
  17. AQ_OC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +430 / 0
    I have you by some 14 years...and I stare at a lot of screens. You might get in the habit of shifting your eyes a lot...keeping a window around to look out at...bu the simple fact is that out of the mix, we each "get what we get" and we have to deal with it. None of the screens bother me, but funny thing is if I play a first-person shooter type game I get ill...quickly, even on a tablet. I have to be in a really cold room to avoid it. I used to buy PC games but I finally quit because I could not deal with this condition. It might have to do with the refresh rates of the various screens...I don't know..but they only time it is an issue is with FPS games. Regular stuff like scrolling and read is not a problem....and I don't "micro-stare", concentrating on tiny details of what's going on on the screen.

I find the retina iPad screen to be a lovely thing to behold...to my eyes, it is overall the best screen on a tablet..the nexus 10 has higher resolution, but there is more light bleed (on mine). Textwise, they are so close together that it is hard to tell the difference. I think the iPad wins on images, though, but this kind of thing is highly subjective, IMO.
  18. MILJAN

MILJAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I definitely agree. That's why i have iPad 4. The best graphic performance i ever saw on tablet. That is why I was a little bit worried about my vision problems, since so far , doctor said that my vision is okay. Somebody just mentioned here, that other source of ligh might be a problem. I think I got idea, what seems to be the problem.

Sent from my iPad 4
  19. MILJAN

MILJAN iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Position off ceiling light is in bad position for my eyes and that is the reason for vision problem. When I change my usual position when using iPad I have no problem with eyes. Thanks for your Replies

Sent from my iPad 4
  20. rurocking

rurocking iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I would see an eye doctor, bring your device with you and explain to him what occurs.