What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Retail inventory improve yet?

Ravynmagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been kinda wanting an iPad 2, but didn't want to camp any lines or get on any waiting lists. So I've just been sticking with my original iPad for a while longer. I noticed it seems Walmart, Target, and Best Buy's websites still show this thing as out of stock. So would it be safe to assume that if I went an Apple Store, I'd be laughed at for asking if they had any in stock?

Hufn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If time isn't an issue then why not order from the apple store online? You'll have it in a few weeks?
If you are going to one just call first to see...

built

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been kinda wanting an iPad 2, but didn't want to camp any lines or get on any waiting lists. So I've just been sticking with my original iPad for a while longer. I noticed it seems Walmart, Target, and Best Buy's websites still show this thing as out of stock. So would it be safe to assume that if I went an Apple Store, I'd be laughed at for asking if they had any in stock?

I HATE waiting in lines...and would hate it even more if I was waiting for nothing....but...I did not want to wait for an online order, so I decided to try the Santa Monica (CA) Apple Store yesterday morning on my way to the gym. Even though I showed up shortly after 0600, I fully expected to see people waiting there as it is a high-profile Apple Store...but there was nobody there.

I decided to wait and since they had a class starting at 0700, one of the very nice employees came out and told me that they did have iPads in stock...and verified that they did have ATT 64GB in Black. He told me they would be handing out tickets at 0800. He came out promptly at 0800 with a STACK of tickets, and it appeared that the only one they did not have was the 16GB Wifi...There ended up being about 50 people in line behind me but most did not get there until after 0800.

So...things seems to be loosening up a bit. I was first through the doors and had my iPad in hand by 0910. :)

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@built: Very nice, congrats! When you have time, see if you have any screen bleed issues that have been reported here.

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF

built

iPF Noob
Reaction score
@built: Very nice, congrats! When you have time, see if you have any screen bleed issues that have been reported here.

Hi, Rambler! I, too, have been following the reports of backlight bleed and was holding off on purchasing until I thought Apple had an opportunity to resolve the issue on the production line. I finally gave in to temptation and went for it...especially since it seemed that I had a good opportunity to do so.

The iPad 2 I purchased early yesterday morning had discernible light bleed, so I brought it right back yesterday afternoon. The Genius knew right away what I was talking about without even taking it into the back. He immediately got a replacement (brown box) and we checked it out together. Looked great...He added if there were any problems to just bring it back...I got it home and was very pleased when checking it under all different lighting conditions, and all the way up to 100 percent brightness.

This one is definitely a keeper. No dead pixels...It has an even, bright screen...No light bleed...On another forum, some folks were trying to determine which production batches had the worst light bleed. Many reported that those with the number 6 in the third position of the serial number had the most complaints. My first iPad 2, indeed, had a 6 in the third position. It appears that most of us on the other forum who have an X as the third character do not have light bleed issues. There are one or two with X serial numbers who did, however, report light bleed. Perhaps Apple is finally getting ahead of the light bleed issue. Maybe it is only a coincidence but most of the people with X serial numbers seem to be happy with their screens.

I also placed my iPad 2 next to my iPad 1 to test as a comparison. The screen on the 2 is just as bright as the screen on the 1...and, to be honest, when looking at a black screen, my 2 looks better, and more even, than my 1, which, up to now, I thought was perfect.

They are out there...it sounds like it's hit or miss. Whether this is has anything to do with it or not, I have to say that my unit with the X serial number is perfect, whereby my original unit with a 6 was clearly not.

I was fortunate enough to get a Genius who had gone through the same thing himself with his own iPad...and I can tell he was pleased too that he managed to find a good one on the first try for me.

They're out there...Good luck to everybody!

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think supply is good now. i went yesterday stood in line they had lot of 64gb wifi and att but didnt want that. So i went today morning they said they wont be handing out tickets anymore. Check with them later in the day. I called them in the evening and they had plenty in stock.

Just my experience... check your local apple store

jmorton10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Our local apple store had zero ipad2's in stock as of yesterday.

jmbarker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Current wait time from Apple.com is 2 weeks from factory to door. Apple stores in my area (Annapolis, MD) seem to have quite a few models in stock lately.

Rambler358

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I originally wanted the AT&T 64GB Black model, but was sold out at Best Buy when my turn came up so ended up with the 32GB of the same. Mine also has a discernible screen bleed issue. I understand Apple will replace these, but does anyone think that Apple would upgrade me to the 64GB model if I paid the difference?

minouge

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've read in several posts that they will allow upgrades on exchanges. However, I have not had to go through this so I'm not 100% sure. Why not call and ask? may be faster and you'll get a more reliable answer :).

Most reactions

Latest posts