What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restrictions password reset?

Buckeyemania

iPF Noob
Reaction score
S there a way to reset the restrictions passcode? I set it a few months ago to keep my daughter from buying in game apps. But can not remember it. It is a iPad 1. Thanks for any help.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no, there is no way around the passcode, you have to restore the iPad.

If you have not backed your iPad up in iTunes since you put the passcode on, you can probably restore it from backup. But, if the password is in your backup, then you'll have to restore your iPad from new.

Sorry, but Apple made that passcode pretty impenetrable. As you've probably already noticed...

Marilyn

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you have to restore from new, then everything will be wiped out on the iPad. You'll have to re-sync it with iTunes and put all your apps back on.

Remember, this is with a restore from new - which you only have to do if your backup was done with that passcode on it.

If your backup (the one in iTunes) doesn't have the passcode in it - then you can restore from backup. In that case, iTunes will put the backup on the iPad, which will include your apps and settings.

The reason I stress about that passcode is that if the backup contains that code and you put it back on the iPad, all that work you did to restore will be for naught. The passcode will still be there (cause it was in the backup).

Okay, enough beating the dead horse...

To answer your question, no, you won't lose your apps. You can put them back on (from either iTunes or by going to the App Store from your iPad) with no charge.

It will be a pain to restore from new, loading all those apps back on (well, if you have a lot) - but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do, right?

Hope that helps?

Marilyn

apple2011

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Please do not worry,the apps you have bought could be free. You can found it in the "purchased" section on the itunes,

Edited by Moderator ~ you need to stop posting external links. This is your last warning!

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Make sure you save all important files, pictures, whatever before hand. Email them if necessary. You can get back the apps without a backup, but you can not get back their content.

pattag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi - I only have one back up which contains the restrictions code , so when I wiped and restored factory settings I am still no further forward . How can I restore without hitting the restrictions code again?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
hi - I only have one back up which contains the restrictions code , so when I wiped and restored factory settings I am still no further forward . How can I restore without hitting the restrictions code again?
I'm afraid that unless you can remember the restrictions password, you won't be able to use your backup and will have to set up your iPad as a new iPad and manually download all your iTunes content. You'll also lose saved data, game progress, etc..

Most reactions

Latest posts