What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring

Waters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I want to restore from my previous backup, but as soon as I connect, it automatically performs a fresh backup. How do I turn this off? This overwrites the last backup I actually wanted...

Tim

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had the same problem. What I did was plugged in my old Ipad and backed everything up. Then plugged in the new one and right clicked on the iPad name in iTunes there is an option to restore from back up. Clicked that and a tab came up asking me where I wanted the restore from. I then chose the old Ipad and it worked perfectly

OP
Waters

Waters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm with you here & have done just that with my new iPad.. Ie restoring new iPad with old iPad backup. Problem is.. As soon as you connect new iPad again to iTunes, it will automatically back up again without asking you whether you wanted to or not. In my case I didn't want to, as I wanted to restore from previous backup & not have it overwritten... Does that make sense? Tim

Patrizia_NC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You should be able to stop auto backup by clicking on the little X in the corner. Also make sure auto sync is off

OP
Waters

Waters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm on a windows pc, not mac... Where do I find/switch off auto synch please?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
In iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices. Once there, you'll see a box titled something like "prevent iDevices from syncing automatically.". Make sure that box is checked.

Oh, and I also Make sure iTunes doesn't automatically check for firmware updates (which is under Edit > Preferences > General; untick the box). That may just be the rebel in me, but I like to make my own decisions as to what stuff is done when...

I also like to ensure iTunes doesn't open when I plug my device in (I'll control the behavior, thank you!). So, when the iPad is plugged in - on the Summary tab, at the bottom, I also ensure the box that reads "Open iTunes when this iPad is connected" is unchecked.

Then, with the iPad still plugged in, under the Apps tab, I make sure the box under the apps list (titled "Automatically sync new apps" is also unchecked...

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

ColtsSN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also, you may want to ensure you're backing up and restoring your data (if your apps have data). For example, I have an app that tracks the books I've read. When I moved from the 2 to the New I restored the app but not the data in it.

OP
Waters

Waters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Mickey330 said:
In iTunes, go to Edit > Preferences > Devices. Once there, you'll see a box titled something like "prevent iDevices from syncing automatically.". Make sure that box is checked.

Oh, and I also Make sure iTunes doesn't automatically check for firmware updates (which is under Edit > Preferences > General; untick the box). That may just be the rebel in me, but I like to make my own decisions as to what stuff is done when...

I also like to ensure iTunes doesn't open when I plug my device in (I'll control the behavior, thank you!). So, when the iPad is plugged in - on the Summary tab, at the bottom, I also ensure the box that reads "Open iTunes when this iPad is connected" is unchecked.

Then, with the iPad still plugged in, under the Apps tab, I make sure the box under the apps list (titled "Automatically sync new apps" is also unchecked...

Hope some of this helps.

Marilyn

That's a great help, many thanks! T

OP
Waters

Waters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Patrizia_NC said:
When you plug in it says it's backing up there is an x in that box click it to stop the backup

Thanks again! T

OP
Waters

Waters

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have an HP photo smart C4599 all in one printer; can you advise the best printing app. to use with an ipad 3?

Most reactions

Latest posts