What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring Itunes Help!!!

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reformat my computer, and is now back to it's original state. I had a backup of everything in an external HD. And to be safe, I separately save ItunesFolder as well.
So here's my problem, How do I restore the itunes library? my books, videos, music and etc. I downloaded and installed Itunes already. I signed in. Then what? What do I do next?

Need a light on this!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I reformat my computer, and is now back to it's original state. I had a backup of everything in an external HD. And to be safe, I separately save ItunesFolder as well.
So here's my problem, How do I restore the itunes library? my books, videos, music and etc. I downloaded and installed Itunes already. I signed in. Then what? What do I do next?

Need a light on this!

j0yful - you know we need the poet on this one..he's probably awake - hey, it's 0839 in Dayton, Washington State...the moderators are all exhausted from all the spam attacks we've had today - but we're victorious!!!

Tim

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What spam attacks! Why today? Star wars day. May the Fourth be with you!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Need a light on this!

Couldn't you just point iTunes to the iTunes folder on your external HD?
Windows:
1. Click Edit then choose preferences
2. Click the Advanced tab and then choose the preferences window and click the General tab
3. Click the change button
4. A media folder location window will pop up...just browse to your external hard drive where your library is stored.

Or just move your backup iTunes folder on external HD to iTunes folder on PC..
I believe that's it....
Others will correct me if I'm wrong....

Last edited:

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
j0yful said:

Need a light on this!

copy your iTunes backup folder on top of the newly created iTunes folder, then copy the media folders back across to where they originally were

Reaction score
Actually any of the above should work.

The main question though is, how to get the iPad to sync with iTunes without deleting anything from the iPad, as the above two methods involve creating a new library.

Personally, I would copy the music onto the computer Harddrive and than File->Add folder to library. But it leaves the question of how the iPad will react.

wytey

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
giffgaff.com
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
Actually any of the above should work.

The main question though is, how to get the iPad to sync with iTunes without deleting anything from the iPad, as the above two methods involve creating a new library.

Personally, I would copy the music onto the computer Harddrive and than File->Add folder to library. But it leaves the question of how the iPad will react.

provided the files are the same on the iPad as the ones in the backup it should be fine, as you aren't creating a new library, but restoring an old one

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Been reading this thread over and over again. Im still confuse!

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Couldn't you just point iTunes to the iTunes folder on your external HD?
Windows:
1. Click Edit then choose preferences
2. Click the Advanced tab and then choose the preferences window and click the General tab
3. Click the change button
4. A media folder location window will pop up...just browse to your external hard drive where your library is stored.

Or just move your backup iTunes folder on external HD to iTunes folder on PC..
I believe that's it....
Others will correct me if I'm wrong....

I've done the 1-3, on the fourth step is where I got confused. Okay, here is the reason why. Since I installed Itunes again from the website. The default shows the drive where the itunes folder is ( the new one, empty). So if I point it to my external hard drive. Will I do fine? I like to make sure I wont do anything drastic. thanks :confused:

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
copy your iTunes backup folder on top of the newly created iTunes folder, then copy the media folders back across to where they originally were

Are you saying I open the itunes folder then delete what's in there and copy the ones I back up and paste them to the new folder?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
j0yful said:
I've done the 1-3, on the fourth step is where I got confused. Okay, here is the reason why. Since I installed Itunes again from the website. The default shows the drive where the itunes folder is ( the new one, empty). So if I point it to my external hard drive. Will I do fine? I like to make sure I wont do anything drastic. thanks :confused:

Yes point it to your iTunes folder on the external drive
Or
Like the previous poster stated about copying the contents from the iTunes folder on exterior drive to iTunes folder on pc.

Both ways will work.....it's your choice.

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j0yful said:

Yes point it to your iTunes folder on the external drive
Or
Like the previous poster stated about copying the contents from the iTunes folder on exterior drive to iTunes folder on pc.

Both ways will work.....it's your choice.

I was able to pointed it to my external hard drive. but still my itunes library is empty . What am I missing?
I tried to delete the new itunes folder and paste the one on my back up . but it's weird coz my pc said I need another 3G. When I check my C drive I still have 30+ G free space.:confused::confused::confused:

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
go to iTunes. In the "File" menu, you will find an option called "Add Folder to Library". Choose this.
add_folder_1.jpg

A window will pop up asking you to select the folder you want to add. Navigate to the itunes folder on external drive and choose it.
add_folder_2.jpg

Clicking "choose" will add the folder to your library and you should be done!

OP
j0yful

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
go to iTunes. In the "File" menu, you will find an option called "Add Folder to Library". Choose this.
add_folder_1.jpg

A window will pop up asking you to select the folder you want to add. Navigate to the itunes folder on external drive and choose it.
add_folder_2.jpg

Clicking "choose" will add the folder to your library and you should be done!

thanks for the visuals! I finally got it at exactly 12MN LOL ;) thanks a lot! I saw all my apps, music. However, a lot of the books in PDF stored on ibook are lost. the same with videos. Can I still locate them and how?

Ps. How do I locate all my pics on my pc? can't find them either :confused:

Most reactions

Latest posts