What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restoring from jailbroken iPad 2 to new stock Mini?

Drosera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Apple gurus

So some #$@% broke into my car and stole my ipad2 last night. Fortunately, I had it backed up about a month ago on iTunes so I figured I can restore it on to my new Mini. However, my old ipad2 was JB ios5.1 and my new mini is ios6 un-jailbroken. I keep trying to restore from backup and keep getting error messages saying "itunes cannot restore the ipad because the backup was corrupt or incompatible with the ipad that is being restored.".

I even tried iBackupBot for iTunes but it also says "Error". I also have a backup of it on iphonebackup Extractor.

Does my new mini need to be JB before I can restore all my previous old backup apps?
And is there a new untethered JB out for ios6 on Mini yet or is it only for developers?

Thanks!

John

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't know if even having a jail broken Mini will help you put the jail broken iPad2's backup onto the Mini. They are two different devices and the iPad2 backup is for iOS 5.x while the Mini's iOS is 6.x. Given that, I am not surprised you are getting errors.

There is no public jail break for the Mini yet. The only one is the 'failbreak' kind - and that one requires a developer account to run. We could be months out before we see a jail break for the Mini.

So, my suggestion is to set the Mini up as new and just re-download everything from the App Store. Then, you can use it while waiting on a jail break.

But, save that iPad2 backup. When the jail break is released for iOS 6, you can always retry the "restore from backup" on the Mini (using the iPad2's backup. As long as you make a backup of the Mini before trying that, there'll be no harm in it.

Sorry, but that's the best I can think of, given that there is no jail break for iOS 6 (and no release date, either).

Marilyn

iJamesH

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Note to self-Never leave your iPad in your car.

I was just wondering if there was a way you can track that iPad through find my iPad or if it had a cellular signal through the GPS chip?

OP
D

Drosera

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Note to self-Never leave your iPad in your car.

I was just wondering if there was a way you can track that iPad through find my iPad or if it had a cellular signal through the GPS chip?

I've already tried. The Find My Iphone app is pretty worthless if the ipad is not in a wifi zone, or the thieves wiped it before turning it on. Seeing how that's easily exploitable, I"m pretty sure my ipad2 is gone and sold, etc. I keep trying the Find My Iphone app and it keeps not turning up "No Devices located." Nevertheless, I've already filed a police report along with putting it up on stolen-property.com, etc. etc. Sad sad day for me--I loved the ipad2.

Most reactions