What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

restoring from a previous backup

kissyfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I recently was trying to resolve an issue whereby my ipad had over 5 gigs of 'other' type memory being consumed. I went to do a restore, and it was taking forever, and somehow I tried to revive it, but my ipad restored to factory results, I went to resync, and it backed up my now factory default ipad.

I was able to sync all my apps and books, etc. But my content was gone (as in the content created within these apps).

Is there anyway to go to a previous backup file, or undelete one and make it active so I can resync to it?

BTW, my 'other memory is now under 100MB, so I solved that one.

Did I mention that I am running itunes on windows (it was a gift), my wife uses the mac in the house, and now I am only using my iPad for all of my needs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jimmy

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...and somehow I tried to revive it...
If you interrupted the process while it was backing up your system, then your content is most likely gone. This is why it is a good idea to sync your iPad with iTunes periodically so that it can do a backup.

OP
K

kissyfish

iPF Noob
Reaction score
...and somehow I tried to revive it...
If you interrupted the process while it was backing up your system, then your content is most likely gone. This is why it is a good idea to sync your iPad with iTunes periodically so that it can do a backup.
\
I sync pretty much daily, it seems I am working with a bug, most likely with the windows version of itunes. This is appears to be a known bug (though unkown to me at the time, and if I am not mistaken, itunes only keeps the last backup, but I am thinking I can find an older backup file, or undelete the previous file and go from there.

Any idea if it is backed up as one contiguous file, or multiple files, and what the actual name of the file moight be.

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I honestly do not know exactly how the file structure is set up, but someone here probably does! And I know this won't help you, but I have been using iTunes on Windows machines for years with no issues. Sorry.

You may want to try here -- http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/6795-go-here-instant-live-help.html

If Mike is around (and he usually is!), he would be the one to answer your questions about how backups are done and what you might be able to do.

Most reactions