What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore without iTunes?

gdgraham1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My iPad says "Not Charging" regardless of what I plug it into so I'm needing to send it back to Apple. It's jailbroke so I obviously need to restore first it but since it only says "Not Charging", iTunes doesn't recognize it. It won't charge so I only have so much time before it dies.

I've tried multiple chargers, wires, plug-ins etc and nothing works.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
iPad 4.3.3

Qcrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Go to settings, then general, and at the bottom there should be a reset button, push it than it should put it back to the factory settings.

yours truly Quinn Crowton

Qcrow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
However u will lose everything that's not backed up to your laptop

yours truly Quinn Crowton

OP
G

gdgraham1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hey thanks. I've tried that a couple times and it will just show its booting for hours. I force reset it and it comes back like nothing happened. I can get it to charge now but my computer now reads "USB not recognized". I'm cool with losing everything I just need this thing working again.

beavery

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you tried a different USB port? My computer(pc) tends to be very touchy about idevices and ports

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
First off, you are aware that the iPad will ALWAYS show "not charging" if it is not plugged into the official wall charger or another charger providing 10W, yes?
When connected to a normal USB port on a PC or an iPhone charger, iPod charger, etc. it will read "not charging". This is NOT a problem. It just means the iPad is not charging at full capacity. It is however charging very very slowly.
So the problem you are seeing is NOTHING to do with the jailbreak. Jailbreaking does not effect the ability of the iPad to charge in any way. I just wanted to clear that up! :)

It does sound as though you have messed up the device driver installation on your PC. I assume it is Windows? As the other poster suggested, try a different USB port. DO NOT use a USB hub. And make sure you give the PC enough time to install the driver. Interrupting it is one of the common things that gets folks into trouble. Try going into your Control Panel, and device manager and uninstall whatever the iPad now shows as in terms of a device. Then it should reinstall the drivers again.

Also, whilst this is only slightly relevant, I posted some details around the "Erase all Content & Settings" here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ll-content-settings-jb-ios-4-3-3-warning.html

This explains why you did not see any change when you tried to clear the contents. I don't believe these options work any more on jailbroken iPad devices!

bulletbilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If your iPad is jailbroken then you cannot use the "Erase all content and settings" selection because it will erase most of the OS leaving just the core things. Since the jailbreak changes many of these mobilesubstrate settings it will leave your iPad in an unrecognizable state. You have to put the device into DFU mode. The easiest way to do this is by:

1. Plug your iPad into the PC and turn it off.
2. Hold the POWER button for 3 seconds.
3. While still holding the POWER button also press the HOME button for 10 seconds.
4. After you have counted to 10 holding both the POWER and HOME buttons release the POWER button while continuing to hold the HOME button.
5. After about 15-30 seconds of holding the HOME button iTunes should pop up stating that your iPad is in DFU mode.

You will know if you have done it correctly when you see iTunes pop up but the iPad will still show a black screen. You can then restore a fresh copy of iOS onto the iPad.

Hope this helped!

OP
G

gdgraham1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes I’ve tried multiple ports and cables. I have always used my pc for my iPad but now I get “USB device not recognized”. I also plugged it into a friend’s Mac and got the same error. When entering DFU mode instead of iTunes popping up I get this error as well. Occasionally I’m able to get a decent charge when plugged into the wall but it’s very temperamental. This thing might as well be plugged into a toaster.
Any way to SSH in? What if I delete Cydia and the obvious items related to the jailbreak, if it’s a hardware issue and I can’t get any computer to read it (pc or mac) then Apple shouldn’t be able to either and they would just send a new one right?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would install something that uses mobile substrate like black keyboard.
Then go to settings, general, and do a reset. The iPad will just sit at the apple logo and be useless. DFU mode is required but you will have to install a new os since the one on it has basically imploded.
Then take it to apple.

OP
G

gdgraham1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Still no luck...I appreciate all the help so much everyone. Not sure what to do at this point. Probably just keep it and charge it when I can, i'll keep it as a paper weight the rest of the time. Kind of a bummer since it's not even a month old.

Thank you all again for all the support.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you try what I said? Do that and get apple to replace it.
It doesn't work very well as a paper weight, too big. :)

OP
G

gdgraham1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I did and it does show the apple with the thing spinning forever but I can do a force reset and it comes back to life every time like nothing happened. That's how I got it back after all times I tried to erase all. Im just afraid they'll try that and when it comes back they won't be to fond of Cydia.

As for the paper weight...touché, haha.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
gdgraham1 said:
I did and it does show the apple with the thing spinning forever but I can do a force reset and it comes back to life every time like nothing happened. That's how I got it back after all times I tried to erase all. Im just afraid they'll try that and when it comes back they won't be to fond of Cydia.

As for the paper weight...touché, haha.

Did you install something that requires mobile substrate?

Most reactions

Latest posts