1. Due to the recent site upgrade, the iPadForums (iPF) App will no longer work. The new iPadForums.net website has been designed from the ground up to work perfectly from any mobile, tablet, or desktop computer using the built in internet browser. Create a shortcut to iPadForums.net on your home screen by following these steps: Create an icon for iPadForums.net

Restore without iTunes?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacking' started by gdgraham1, Jul 1, 2011.

1. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My iPad says "Not Charging" regardless of what I plug it into so I'm needing to send it back to Apple. It's jailbroke so I obviously need to restore first it but since it only says "Not Charging", iTunes doesn't recognize it. It won't charge so I only have so much time before it dies.

I've tried multiple chargers, wires, plug-ins etc and nothing works.

Any help would be great. Thanks in advance.
    iPad 4.3.3
  2. Qcrow

Qcrow iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Go to settings, then general, and at the bottom there should be a reset button, push it than it should put it back to the factory settings.

yours truly Quinn Crowton
  3. Qcrow

Qcrow iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    However u will lose everything that's not backed up to your laptop

yours truly Quinn Crowton
  4. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey thanks. I've tried that a couple times and it will just show its booting for hours. I force reset it and it comes back like nothing happened. I can get it to charge now but my computer now reads "USB not recognized". I'm cool with losing everything I just need this thing working again.
  5. beavery

beavery iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Have you tried a different USB port? My computer(pc) tends to be very touchy about idevices and ports
  6. f4780y

f4780y Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +630 / 0
    First off, you are aware that the iPad will ALWAYS show "not charging" if it is not plugged into the official wall charger or another charger providing 10W, yes?
    When connected to a normal USB port on a PC or an iPhone charger, iPod charger, etc. it will read "not charging". This is NOT a problem. It just means the iPad is not charging at full capacity. It is however charging very very slowly.
    So the problem you are seeing is NOTHING to do with the jailbreak. Jailbreaking does not effect the ability of the iPad to charge in any way. I just wanted to clear that up! :)

It does sound as though you have messed up the device driver installation on your PC. I assume it is Windows? As the other poster suggested, try a different USB port. DO NOT use a USB hub. And make sure you give the PC enough time to install the driver. Interrupting it is one of the common things that gets folks into trouble. Try going into your Control Panel, and device manager and uninstall whatever the iPad now shows as in terms of a device. Then it should reinstall the drivers again.

Also, whilst this is only slightly relevant, I posted some details around the "Erase all Content & Settings" here:

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...ll-content-settings-jb-ios-4-3-3-warning.html

This explains why you did not see any change when you tried to clear the contents. I don't believe these options work any more on jailbroken iPad devices!
  7. bulletbilly

bulletbilly iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If your iPad is jailbroken then you cannot use the "Erase all content and settings" selection because it will erase most of the OS leaving just the core things. Since the jailbreak changes many of these mobilesubstrate settings it will leave your iPad in an unrecognizable state. You have to put the device into DFU mode. The easiest way to do this is by:

1. Plug your iPad into the PC and turn it off.
    2. Hold the POWER button for 3 seconds.
    3. While still holding the POWER button also press the HOME button for 10 seconds.
    4. After you have counted to 10 holding both the POWER and HOME buttons release the POWER button while continuing to hold the HOME button.
    5. After about 15-30 seconds of holding the HOME button iTunes should pop up stating that your iPad is in DFU mode.

You will know if you have done it correctly when you see iTunes pop up but the iPad will still show a black screen. You can then restore a fresh copy of iOS onto the iPad.

Hope this helped!
  8. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I’ve tried multiple ports and cables. I have always used my pc for my iPad but now I get “USB device not recognized”. I also plugged it into a friend’s Mac and got the same error. When entering DFU mode instead of iTunes popping up I get this error as well. Occasionally I’m able to get a decent charge when plugged into the wall but it’s very temperamental. This thing might as well be plugged into a toaster.
    Any way to SSH in? What if I delete Cydia and the obvious items related to the jailbreak, if it’s a hardware issue and I can’t get any computer to read it (pc or mac) then Apple shouldn’t be able to either and they would just send a new one right?
  9. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    I would install something that uses mobile substrate like black keyboard.
    Then go to settings, general, and do a reset. The iPad will just sit at the apple logo and be useless. DFU mode is required but you will have to install a new os since the one on it has basically imploded.
    Then take it to apple.
  10. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Still no luck...I appreciate all the help so much everyone. Not sure what to do at this point. Probably just keep it and charge it when I can, i'll keep it as a paper weight the rest of the time. Kind of a bummer since it's not even a month old.

Thank you all again for all the support.
  11. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Did you try what I said? Do that and get apple to replace it.
    It doesn't work very well as a paper weight, too big. :)
  12. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did and it does show the apple with the thing spinning forever but I can do a force reset and it comes back to life every time like nothing happened. That's how I got it back after all times I tried to erase all. Im just afraid they'll try that and when it comes back they won't be to fond of Cydia.

As for the paper weight...touché, haha.
  13. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Did you install something that requires mobile substrate?
  14. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes I've got the black keyboard.
  15. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
  16. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When entering DFU mode, my iPad shows the black screen, white usb cable and iTunes logo but it gets stuck there. Then my pc just says "Device not recognized". My girlfriend's Mac shows nothing...
  17. graywolf

graywolf iPad Super Guru

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +35 / 0
    Uh oh. Thats recovery mode.
    Use tiny umbrella to kick it out, but if it doesn't get recognized it might not work.
  18. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Nope nothing. As soon as it should be recognized I get an error on the computer that says it doesn't recognize the device. No luck on the Mac book either... I appreciate the help though.

Sent from my iPad using iPF
  19. TheRambler

TheRambler Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +123 / 0
    Well, I'm no techie, so my advice is, if your really bothered about taking back to apple, even though you haven't done anything wrong, it isn't illegal to JB your iPad, you could drop into the bath and claim a new one on your home insurance!
    Not really a fix, but it gets you over the problem?
  20. gdgraham1

gdgraham1 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just an update. I removed everything I could safely and then downloaded Poof to hide Cydia. The only thing that gave away that it was jailbroke was if you enabled Applications under Spotlight Search and looked for it.
    I sent my iPad to Apple day before yesterday and I received my new one today.