What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore Question

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I searched and really couldnt find a clear answer for this...I'm on 3.2.2 now, I'm not going to upgrade until there is and untethered JB for 4.2.1. That being said, I'm wanting to know the best way to do an absolute total wipe of all files, including all jailbreak and jailbreak app files so I can do a clean install of 4.2.1 when the time comes.

jodipy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
wouldn't restore/update completely wipe off everything on the ipad/iphone?

OP
Munky

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I read on another website that someone said that updating will still leave some jailbreak files behind, but i couldnt confirm cause it was a a really old thread. I know that when I updated from 3.2.1 to 3.2.2 that alot of the cydia apps were left behind, but cydia didn't recognize them as installed even though they functioned. Ive been experiencing some weirdness with the iPad lately that no one seems to be able to figure out.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You are correct.

An UPDATE will leave the filesystem intact, so even though you cant see or use them, your jailbreak files would still be there... As you discovered, this can cause some unusual things to happen if you subsequently jailbreak the new OS. You could even end up with incompatible jb apps which break your installation at a later time...

A RESTORE will wipe everything and restore your iPad to factory freshness...

Last edited:

Most reactions