What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Restore, let me get this right

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Excuse Me of my Apple ignorance. In order to do a restore of my iPad iOS 8. I have to plug the iPad into my WINDOWS computer to download the OS from the iCloud program on my WINDOWS computer? This just doesn't seem right as they hate each others guts. OK so if I got that wrong, do I have to find someone with an iMac to download?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excuse Me of my Apple ignorance. In order to do a restore of my iPad iOS 8. I have to plug the iPad into my WINDOWS computer to download the OS from the iCloud program on my WINDOWS computer? This just doesn't seem right as they hate each others guts. OK so if I got that wrong, do I have to find someone with an iMac to download?
Apple has made Windows versions of iTunes svailable for quite some time. It's in their financial interest to do so as there are far more owners of iOS devices who use Windows computers instead of Macs. Microsoft has also made a version of Windows available to Mac users who can run both OSX and Windows on their Macs.

You can use iTunes on your Windows computer to restore your iPad. There's no need to use iTunes on a Mac.

Last edited:

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Make sure it's the latest version (12.0.1), and the right download. There are versions for 32 bit and 63 bit, depending on your PC.

OP
Ibill

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
At a complete loss. iTunes for windows has nothing on it except for Listen to music, which I seldom do. Nothing for downloading the OS.
Icloud for windows shows my backups are all done but does not show seperate files or anywhere to restore th OS. Nothing in my contacts or pages or iCloud Drive. The only thing that even works is Find My phone.
Yes, I down loaded iTunes 12.0.1 And made sure it was for windows 7

OP
Ibill

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank JA. Guess I could not get it in my head to backup to iTunes, a music program. No option on iPad to do this, just icloud back up. Icloud I can see. iTunes sorry to say that just seem ridiculous. I needed those step by step instruction.
You still getting that curser problem in this forum when posting? It's driving me absolutely insane! You should be a mod, I'd even pay you. LOL

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lol
I have the problem, but it's not really bad. As you can see, I have no problems with posting.

iTunes on the computer is far more than a music program. If you don't like to backup to iTunes, then use iCloud. After restoring through iTunes (computer), disconnect your iPad erase all content and settings and use the iCloud backup to restore it.

The procedure for restoring with iTunes is in my former post. There are pictures included, which should help you get this done.

OP
Ibill

Ibill

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks to you I got through the process but am reluctant to do a restore.
As far as the curser and key pad deal, I am a regular typer, was 100 words per minute at one time. This hunt and peck thing is not my style and I make mistakes and have to go back frequently to add or correct words. Having to back out of the key board to move my curser is really getting to be a PITA on this forum, doesn't happen anywhere else. Numbers not with alpha's is another irritation for me, but I guess I should have known that going in. Psst! Dont tell anyone but Im sending this on my Windows laptop. LOL

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I won't give away your secret. ;)

A restore could fix problems with your iPad. I don't like iTunes either, but last week I restored my iPad 2 using iTunes. I needed four or five hours because of my extremely slow computer, and at a point I was thinking of giving up, but in the end my device was restored, and is now working better than before.

As far as I get it, your issues with cursor and keyboard are way worse than mine.
I hope that someone is working on this problem.

Most reactions