What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resetting iPad

Welsh girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, the iPad I am using was initially set up for my mum. Now I am using it I would like to set it up for me and my iTunes etc. My question is this: if I, through settings app, go to reset the iPad to default settings, will I lose photos, emails etc? If so, how can I go about resetting the iPad whilst keeping them - they are precious!

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I would never use the onboard reset personally, I think the easiest way would be to connect it to iTunes on the PC and select backup, then once that is sone do a restore then put your restore back on.

I take it your not a jailbreaker, if you are come baxk and let us know, as this will change what I have said

Roy Rob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welsh girl said:
Hi, the iPad I am using was initially set up for my mum. Now I am using it I would like to set it up for me and my iTunes etc. My question is this: if I, through settings app, go to reset the iPad to default settings, will I lose photos, emails etc? If so, how can I go about resetting the iPad whilst keeping them - they are precious!

If you reset the iPad to factory (default) settings everything, apps, photos etc. will be lost. You should back up the iPad first to a Mac or PC with iTunes then you can reset it. Do not sync it again or all the same data and settings, apps etc. will be reloaded. You can then reload your photos with iTunes after you have set up your iPad to your personal settings. I am uncertain about your emails, if they are 'yours' they should still remain on your Mac or PC mail server, but I am sure others here will set you right if I am wrong. Happy New Year!

OP
W

Welsh girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, will look into that. Need to sort it all out as some things work and some things don't. Not a jailbreaker, as far as I am aware. what does it mean exactly? I assume the iPad is unlocked in some way?

OP
W

Welsh girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you reset the iPad to factory (default) settings everything, apps, photos etc. will be lost. You should back up the iPad first to a Mac or PC with iTunes then you can reset it. Do not sync it again or all the same data and settings, apps etc. will be reloaded. You can then reload your photos with iTunes after you have set up your iPad to your personal settings. I am uncertain about your emails, if they are 'yours' they should still remain on your Mac or PC mail server, but I am sure others here will set you right if I am wrong. Happy New Year!
Thanks for that, and a Happy New Year to you too!

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
If you have any problems come back and give us a shout, we have a good selection of people who can help you if your stuck.

Let us know what iPad you have 1,2,3 or mini, and what iOS your on now, all this information can be found in settings, it will help us give you the right info

OP
W

Welsh girl

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks Rambler, I have an iPad 2 using iOS 6.0.1. It does seem a shame there is still a need to use the laptop/PC, but will give it a go. Happy New Year to you.

The OB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm a bit old fashioned, I like to use cables and PC as I'm always worried things can go wrong over the air........oh no! I sound like my Dad

Happy New Year

LOL (thumbs)
a8u9e3en.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Most reactions

Latest posts