What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Resetting ipad

pwood31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Recently I tried to download an app to help me compare grocery store prices in my area. The app never downloaded and my iPad has not been the same since that time. On my desktop there is an icon that still says "waiting". I tried to delete it but that icon never displays the X, it,s never an option to delete that particular app that isn,t really an app yet. It,s perpetually waiting to download.

My son was going to restore factory settings, hoping that would get rid of the app and return things to normal (iPad doesn,t rotate, iPad doesn,t go into sleep mode, etc.) ... But I have many kindle books and a couple of games .... Will I have to rebuy those things or is there a way to save those .... I am on the heels of a hard drive crash (lost everything) on my laptop and I am so frustrated and sad and afraid of doing something wrong, but I know it,s not working right and I need to get it right ... Thank you for any insight!
patty

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Try a reboot...

Turn the iPad off.

Now press and hold the Power and Home buttons until the White Apple logo appears. It can take quite a time - perhaps 20 seconds. The iPad will reboot.

See if that clears the download.

A reboot doesn't lose any data or apps, it's just like rebooting your PC.

Tim

OP
P

pwood31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that tip and for your quick response! It did get rid of the perpetually waiting app, but alas my iPad still will not rotate. I notice that in the upper left hand corner, to the left of the battery percentage number, there is an icon of a padlock with a slightly open ended circle, with an arrow pointing clockwise. Do you know what that is or how to access it? I miss my rotation feature far more than I expected.

OP
P

pwood31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
pwood31 said:
Thanks for that tip and for your quick response! It did get rid of the perpetually waiting app, but alas my iPad still will not rotate. I notice that in the upper left hand corner, to the left of the battery percentage number, there is an icon of a padlock with a slightly open ended circle, with an arrow pointing clockwise. Do you know what that is or how to access it? I miss my rotation feature far more than I expected.

I found the answer ... I had accidentally locked the screen in position. I found the button and the padlock icon is gone and with the app gone, all seems to be working. Thank you so much for the reboot info. Have a great day!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The app will most likely return the next time you go into the App Store on the iPad and choose update. Make sure you are on a good Wi-Fi network at the time and it will (probably) download normally.

If it is a really big app (a few are), it may take quite a while.

Most reactions

Latest posts