What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reset iPad when restriction password not known

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My wife wants to scrub her old iPad Mini, so she can sell it.

I have turned off find my phone, but when I then try to reset the ipad, after inputting the normal password, I am then asked for the restrictions password.
As neither of us know what this is ( I think our grandson turned restrictions on, so we don't know what password he used), how do we proceed?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To get rid of the restrictions password, you'll have to erase it. Go to Settings - General - Reset, and select "Erase all Content and Settings".

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah, good idea, but you need the restriction password before you can do a general reset. Chicken & Egg situation

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Use iTunes to restore your iPad, and set it up as new. If that doesn't work, contact Apple, or visit the next Apple Retail Store to get help.

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll give it a try. That is after it has downloaded an upgrade that it needs before it proceeds! 1.3gb upgrade at 1 mb/s, only another 3 hours to wait -aaarggghhh

OP
S

SwanseaMick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
J.A.
Many thanks, itunes restore worked a treat. The iPad now thinks it is new, and is now trying to go through the new iPad start-up procedure. Sorted :)

Most reactions