What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Replying to Youtube Comments Using ipad

ganyuehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm all registered, logged in and have my own videos up. I'm able to leave new comments, but don't seem able to directly reply to comments on my videos. How can I do this or can I do it at all?

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Soooo....within the youtube app...While in portrait mode..you are not able to access the comments section as in the pic below.

b9294e73.png

OP
G

ganyuehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, yeah. If you look closely you can add a comment, but I don't think it replies directly to a specific comment someone else left.

OUTL4W

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I then don't quite understand....if I wanted to reply to someones comment i would insert "@username ~" then leave comment so they would know I was specificly talking to them.

OP
G

ganyuehan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry if I'm frustrating you. Here's the difference: If you're on a common computer, the comment will have a reply button to the right and responding that way will actually cause that user to be notified. The way you mentioned is alright, but they'll only see your response if they go back to your video to check; there's no notification.

MinecraftForMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes.Me too. This is a real issue and you've described it well. I think it probably has something to do with the iPad's support for javascript and the way YouTube have implemented the buttons. Right now, the only way to 'reply' is use @username but that might not notify the user (as you mention).

Also, I cannot accept comments (only remove them). If I hit accept it shows a brief view of the reply button but goes back to accept and nothing else happens. I think this is where the buggy/clever javascript is.

I can't see there being a fix for this, it's Google not coding to the iPad's standards (and Apple won't change that I don't think) I'll have a good look though and report back if I find a solution, at the moment this is the top hit on Google though.

MinecraftForMac

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SOLVED - Use M.youtube.com not WWW.youtube.com

I can't see there being a fix for this

Ok, I solved it already. The problem is with 'double-u double-u double-u' dot YouTube dot com.

I go here by default as I get emails when there is a comment to reply to. But the full site has functionaliity not handled well by iPad/Safari.

SOLUTION: Go to 'My Channel' or any link on YouTube and you should be redirected to 'm' dot youtube - here you get a cut down version (for 'mobile') and it doens't look great on an iPad in widescreen, but from here you can reply to comments quickly, easily and directly.

Hope that helps you OP.

dustrho

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any chance that YouTube or Apple will fix the built in app, so that all YouTube functionality is included in the built in app?

Most reactions

Latest posts