What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Renaming apps

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've searched and searched and only found confusion. Does anyone know of a way to rename iPad apps, WITHOUT a jailbroken device?

Also, is there a way to hide an app update for one app? I have an app where the update removes functionality. I was able to restore an older copy, so now it works fine, but I don't like seeing the available app update in my Updates list, because it means I cannot do 'update all' and now have to update all the other programs individually. Does anyone know a way to hide one app update? Again, I am not, and will not be jailbroken.

Thanks a lot! I always find so much help in this forum. You guys are great.

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
No, and no. sorry.

You can not rename apps on a stock iPad. You can stuff them into a folder and give that any name you like.

Updates are forever. No way around seeing them on the list, at least for now.

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is one of my primary reasons for jailbreaking, changing app names and icons. Basic functionality that should be available on a stock iPad.

Rikdyou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Wait you can change the names of apps when your jail broke?
I need to jailbreak now.....

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Because I don't like some app names, nor the icons they use. An example, would be the Outline app, a Microsoft OneNote reader. I also install the free OneNote app for the iPhone, take it's icon and assign it to outline using ifile, delete the OneNote app and rename Outline to One Note. Another is AV Player HD, I rename it to Videos, and use the stock video icon. Same reason I debadge all my cars, I paid for them, and I want them to look how I want.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
...and that's worth dumping everything else you get from the iPhone platform when iOS is eventually jail break proof? Really?

Munky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, it is. There are only a couple things iOS5 offers that I don't have already being jailbroken. I refuse to let a company tell me what I can and cant do with something I pay for.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Enjoy your Android phone then, because jail breaking will be over soon...

Rikdyou

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess jail breaking has it's Perks and downsides......
It's slower.......and you lose your warranty
BUT
You can do everything the official os can't..
Like um Winterboard and dream board...

OP
V

vbriggs

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Never say never. I actually did find a way to hide an update. I'd put the link here, but I think it's against the rules. Anyway, just so you all know, it CAN be done :)

MykNPhx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Although I agree with your premise, I'm not yet comfortable with jail-breaking the iPad. If you are comfortable, however, I will stand with you.

Arny9

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Enjoy your Android phone then, because jail breaking will be over soon...

Dear "thewit"

Nearly two years have gone by and were still jailbreaking, because there a hell of lot to gain and
nothing to lose.
Warranty loss !?
Not true
Apart from the fact the warranty only lasts one year, if it packs up before then ?
All your have to do in order to be ruled by Apple again is to switchback to them owning what you paid
for, by using their stupid software iTunes to update it and Jailbreak again when your item is returned
whether working or not is the luck of the game.

Arny9

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

Latest posts