What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing photographs from iDevices using Windows.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know there have been several people who have been baffled by the seemingly impossible task of removing large amounts of photographs from iDevices, myself included, so I've done some digging.

This was tested on an iPhone 4 (stock) and a PC running Vista SP2 64 bit.

Plug your iDevice into the PC using USB. In Windows Explorer, right click on the iDevice, and select "import pictures". A box will appear on the screen. Click on "options", then check "Always delete after importing". Click "Import".

The photographs and videos will be imported to your PC, and then Windows will delete the photographs from the iDevice. After the deletions, I needed to reboot my iPhone, but the pictures and videos had gone.

Hope this info is useful for other members.

dawidbrook

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You can do that by connecting your device in removable disk format and then browse for the pictures and delete them as you want. This is the easiest way to browse for your pictures. Using this option you can take backup of your picture and also delete them.

OP
KevinJS

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
dawidbrook said:
You can do that by connecting your device in removable disk format and then browse for the pictures and delete them as you want. This is the easiest way to browse for your pictures. Using this option you can take backup of your picture and also delete them.

This method did not work for one member here, which is why I sought out an alternative. Deleting the photographs manually left ghost images which could not be deleted, and resulted in the need to restore the iPad to factory settings.

I no longer recommend deleting photographs in Windows Explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts