What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing apps for good

tdrew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have several (many!) apps that I have downloaded, only to find I did not like them, or they didn't do what I was expecting, so I did the usual - tap-and-hold and then tap the X to "delete" them.

But they still appear as "not on this iPad" or "hidden."

Is there any way to fully remove them?

Thanks in advance!

--Tom--

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
tdrew said:
Greetings!

I have several (many!) apps that I have downloaded, only to find I did not like them, or they didn't do what I was expecting, so I did the usual - tap-and-hold and then tap the X to "delete" them.

But they still appear as "not on this iPad" or "hidden."

Is there any way to fully remove them?

Thanks in advance!

--Tom--

Not that I am aware of. If it could be done I suspect it would be from within iTunes but am not familiar with a way.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, if you delete it in iTunes (from the library section) it should remove it permanently. When you do so, iTunes will ask if you want to trash the app thereby removing it from your computer as well.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
On my computer I actually go into the iTunes folders in "my music" and physically remove them that way. I have found even when I delete old apps from iTunes library they still show up (and take up precious space) in my music folder.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ajcgn said:
Yes, if you delete it in iTunes (from the library section) it should remove it permanently. When you do so, iTunes will ask if you want to trash the app thereby removing it from your computer as well.

That won't do any good as the apps are still stored in the cloud on the iTunes servers.

ajcgn

iPF Noob
Reaction score
scifan57 said:
That won't do any good as the apps are still stored in the cloud on the iTunes servers.

Will iCloud reinstall the app without you wanting to, or just keep a record that you downloaded/purchased the app allowing you to change your mind at some point in the future?

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ajcgn said:
Will iCloud reinstall the app without you wanting to, or just keep a record that you downloaded/purchased the app allowing you to change your mind at some point in the future?

The latter is true..

You can reinstall any previously purchased app that you have removed in the interim. This is why I believe there is not a way to truly delete an app as the OP asks. Apple maintains the purchase history so reinstalls via the cloud can be performed.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is always a record of purchases. If you own an app, you would not be happy if you could pay twice for it. People purchase apps for what they think it will do. If it does not meet the demands of the user, it can be deleted as to not take up memory. However, who is to say that the app maker will not correct faults with an earlier edition, thus making it valuable for the user. Apple keeps the app out of the way, but available. It is like Christmas music. You may get a lot of service out of it for a month, and then you don't want to deal with it for the next 11 months. Apple makes this possible.

ryanlawrence171

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.hbiphonelabs.com
"Well first delete the App from the iPod Touch. If you are not successful to delete that application. Go to windows, find the following directory and the app then delete. Select this path - (\Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Mobile Applications)"

Most reactions