What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Removing Apple ID on second hand Ipad

Linuts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a bit of a problem: I bought a second hand Gen 5 Ipad (private sale) It was supposed to be reset with nothing on it. But when i got it home it has the previous owners Apple ID on it and i cannot do a reset and erase without the previous owners password.
I have messaged then previous owner requesting the password but as yet have not had a reply. The Ipad is Genuine (not stolen) as the Apple ID is the previous owners ID. I have set up an Apple ID for myself. So now the Ipad has two accounts.
Is there a way of contacting Apple and asking them if they can remove the previous owners account. Or is there a way round the problem that will let me erase the Ipad.
The Ipad works fine and has no problems it even updated to IOS 14 when i got it home.
I know the previous owners address but do not want to go banging on their door asking them to input the password unless i have to.
Thanks
Linuts

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way to remove the previous owner’s Apple ID is to have him do it. He does not need access to the iPad to do so. All he has to do is log into his iCloud account from any computer and remove the device from his iCloud account. This will remove the iCloud activation lock from the iPad. Apple will not help remove the Activation Lock unless you are the original registered owner.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a bit of a problem: I bought a second hand Gen 5 Ipad (private sale) It was supposed to be reset with nothing on it. But when i got it home it has the previous owners Apple ID on it and i cannot do a reset and erase without the previous owners password......
Linuts

Hi Linuts - welcome to the forum! :) Scifan.. has already answered your query, but this is an oft asked question here which may be unsolvable if the original owner is unavailable and cannot sign the device out from their account. I've sold nearly a half dozen iDevices since first getting rid of my old iPad 2 - for those NEW to either selling/donating/gifting an iDevice or for those who are purchasing one and need to verify that the device is signed-out and erased properly (if that is the choice), follow the guidelines given by Apple HERE (googling would provide other 'hits').

Just to emphasize 'how' to sign your device out of your iCloud account, two examples are shown below: 1) First from the 'Settings' on my iPadPro (listed are the 8 Apple gadgets that we own) - tap on your name and go to 'Sign Out' (arrow); and 2) Second on iCloud in a browser (on my MBPro at the moment) - follow the directions there. I usually like to check BOTH areas just to make sure the device is 'removed' from my (or my wife's account). Dave

iPad1.PNG
iPad2.png

OP
L

Linuts

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thank You For your helpful replies. It is much appreciated.

Most reactions

Latest posts