What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remove large amounts of junk mail

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Lately I have been getting large volumes of junk mail, not sure why, but as I type / speak there are over 250 in the inbox across three email accounts.

So my question is how do I delete them quickly as in bulk delete. I have used the Edit button but have to mark each one individualy which is slow. There are probably only a handfull of real or important emails the rest are just junk, nearly all from 2 or 3 different sources.

In order to prevent this how do I set up mail filtering or is there anything else I could do.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Stag

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a Yahoo email account and if I go to the website view of my email account and report emails from a particular source as spam I'll no longer see emails sent from that source in my inbox. Most other types of email service should offer a similar service.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Lately I have been getting large volumes of junk mail, not sure why, but as I type / speak there are over 250 in the inbox across three email accounts.

So my question is how do I delete them quickly as in bulk delete. I have used the Edit button but have to mark each one individualy which is slow. There are probably only a handfull of real or important emails the rest are just junk, nearly all from 2 or 3 different sources.

In order to prevent this how do I set up mail filtering or is there anything else I could do.

Any help or guidance would be appreciated.

Stag

What version of iOS are you running? IOS 8 has better volume delete options. If not, I'm not sure of a way to bulk delete. It's is frustrating.

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me guys.
To scifan57 Not sure that I can do what you are saying as most of the emails are from our business accounts and can be read on other PC's they generally don't appear on the other PC's as they are filtered out and are rarely seen except on my iPad.
To s2milkey I am still using IOS 7 have not updated yet, as from what I have read there seems to be mixed results. But to be honest those with the iPad Air (which I have) don't seem to have too many glitches. So I might try updating later.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me guys.
To scifan57 Not sure that I can do what you are saying as most of the emails are from our business accounts and can be read on other PC's they generally don't appear on the other PC's as they are filtered out and are rarely seen except on my iPad.
To s2milkey I am still using IOS 7 have not updated yet, as from what I have read there seems to be mixed results. But to be honest those with the iPad Air (which I have) don't seem to have too many glitches. So I might try updating later.

I would update ASAP. There is a new feature in Mail where you can easily delete larger numbers of emails. Go for it, your Air will run great on the new OS. Don't worry!

OP
Stag

Stag

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What version of iOS are you running? IOS 8 has better volume delete options. If not, I'm not sure of a way to bulk delete. It's is frustrating.

I have just updated to IOS 8 at the weekend, so how does this bulk delete work. It is just that I dont see anything to say how you are supposed to do it.
I am sure there are many new features in Mail and other apps that we just dont know about, makes you wonder how you are supposed to find out about them.
Not wanting to go off the thread I like the new keyboard, the only problem I have with it is that it wont pop up when I need it, like right now as I wanted to reply to you, but I cant get it to appear so I had to use a Bluetooth keyboard to write this.

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have just updated to IOS 8 at the weekend, so how does this bulk delete work. It is just that I dont see anything to say how you are supposed to do it.
I am sure there are many new features in Mail and other apps that we just dont know about, makes you wonder how you are supposed to find out about them.
Not wanting to go off the thread I like the new keyboard, the only problem I have with it is that it wont pop up when I need it, like right now as I wanted to reply to you, but I cant get it to appear so I had to use a Bluetooth keyboard to write this.

Ya know what, I am mistaken. I could have sworn I was able to do it but I'm pretty sure now that I was able to quickly remove a bunch of them from my Trash not from my inbox. Sorry about that. Now, I'm going to hunt down how to do it or if it's possible. My bad. :(

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya know what, I am mistaken. I could have sworn I was able to do it but I'm pretty sure now that I was able to quickly remove a bunch of them from my Trash not from my inbox. Sorry about that. Now, I'm going to hunt down how to do it or if it's possible. My bad. :(
What you were thinking of was this:
In the Inbox, tap Edit - mark first email - tap and hold "Move" while unchecking marked email - select Trash.

It was working on my iPad (iOS 8.1) with an account where just a few emails were in the Inbox. It crashed when I tried it with the account with way more emails.

Last edited:

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
What you were thinking of was this:
In the Inbox, tap Edit - mark first email - tap and hold "Move" while unchecking marked email - select Trash.

It was working on my iPad (iOS 8.1) with an account where just a few emails were in the Inbox. It crashed when I tried it with the account with way more emails.

Oh yeah, thanks a bunch for that. I knew there was some way to do it but didn't remember it being so funky. They have to rectify this and make it easier. Especially if it crashes with a large number of mails. That'd be the main reason to want to use it too - lots of mails!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, thanks a bunch for that. I knew there was some way to do it but didn't remember it being so funky. They have to rectify this and make it easier. Especially if it crashes with a large number of mails. That'd be the main reason to want to use it too - lots of mails!
You're welcome.

It could also be just my iPad (Air) that crashes when trying this. Maybe it works on other devices.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score

It's funky because it's a bug, um, I mean unintended feature. I'm surprised it still works in iOS 8. Just goes to prove they didn't re-write all the code.

Most reactions

Latest posts