What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

remote

brookeash14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just bought this portable remote to connect to my ipad (first generation) so that I can scan through music whenever I'm driving or just doing things around the house; and it says that I need to point the remote to the IR receiver on the front of the apple product and "hold down 'right' and 'menu' for 5 seconds.....a chainlink symbol should appear onscreen". Do the first generation ipads have an IR receiver or do I need to buy one to connect to it? (If that's even an option) Please help!

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Is this the remote?

Apple Remote - Apple Store (U.S.)

It says nothing about working with an iPad, and a note near the bottom says that it needs the iPod universal dock to work with an iPod or iPhone. It should work with Apple computers, but they all have IR receivers built in.

I suppose there is a slim chance that if you can somehow make your iPad fit that universal dock you could make it work, but you would probably just be wasting more money.

OP
B

brookeash14

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I bought it at the apple store and the guy that i talked to said that it would work with the ipad but i guess he really didn't know too much about it and the label on the back of the case that the remote was in said that it was compatible with apple products and computers so i thought i'd give it a try.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You might be able to take it back.

If you explain that you bought it with the understanding that it would work on the iPad, and have the receipt, I give it fair odds they will take it back. That, or explain how to use it.

dre4u2nv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there an iPhone app that can control I iPad? I know it sounds REALLY redundant to have something that can do just about everything an iPad pretty much can control the iPad remotely... Why not just use the iphone one might ask??? Well firstly, I don't want to, and secondly I WANT TO CONTROL THE IPAD WITH THE IPHONE!!! LMAO.... Is that too much to ask? Possibly.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There a few apps, like presentation/slideshows that have an iPhone app that can control the iPad's app. There is no app that will give you general control over an iPad. The security features built into iOS won't allow it.

Each app is sandboxed (unable to affect other apps). That means that there is nothing you can load on the iPad that can take control of the iPad; which is what you'd need to make remote control possible.

dre4u2nv

iPF Noob
Reaction score
twerppoet said:
There a few apps, like presentation/slideshows that have an iPhone app that can control the iPad's app. There is no app that will give you general control over an iPad. The security features built into iOS won't allow it.

Each app is sandboxed (unable to affect other apps). That means that there is nothing you can load on the iPad that can take control of the iPad; which is what you'd need to make remote control possible.

Thanks for that.. I never knew that each application is sandboxed. That helps me understand iOS much more. Much appreciated!

Most reactions