What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote file access

Headshot_Harry

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, just got myself an original iPad, having some fun figuring the thing out... One question though, is there an App out there I can use to remotely access data on a share I have on a server in the office or at home? Be nice to be out and about and be able to access photos and videos I have from various holidays etc to show friends and family without having to remember to download them before leaving the house.

Many thanks for any help :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all, just got myself an original iPad, having some fun figuring the thing out... One question though, is there an App out there I can use to remotely access data on a share I have on a server in the office or at home? Be nice to be out and about and be able to access photos and videos I have from various holidays etc to show friends and family without having to remember to download them before leaving the house.

Many thanks for any help :)

There are several remote desktop apps out there that can give you access to your PC when you're on the road. I'm sure you'll receive several suggestions.

The two I use are GoToMyPC and Splashtop.

GoToMyPC app is free, as is the program you need to install on your PC too, but you need to pay for the service.

Splashtop has a free version of the app - a 'limited log on time' version, so you can try it out first - it's easy to set up to access your PC from your local network but takes a bit more work and experience ('port forwarding') to get it to work for access from a remote network. But there's no charge for it after you've bought the basic app - or nothing at all for the limited time access version - so, if you felt comfortable with the technicalities of setting it up, this might be the better way to go. It's certainly very easy to set up for your local network - more or less plug and play - so worth checking out.

As the other poster suggested, cloud storage servers - such as DropBox and Apple's MobileMe iDisk - are another option, though you need to have uploaded the files you're interested in first of all.

Tim

Most reactions

Latest posts