What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote desktop app for mac over internet

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fullofgraceandtruth.net
Hi folks,

Can someone recommend a free (or cheap) remote desktop app for remotely accessing a mac computer from an iPad 2 over the Internet? Tried some research last night and didn't find much encouraging. Seem to be plenty for Windows machines and a few good options for mac over wifi, but not much for mac over Internet, apart from apps with double figure price tags.

Anything out there? Thanks.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Splashtop works fine with a Mac; their experimental 'autodiscovery' feature is, at present, only available for a PC - so, unless you're familiar with port forwarding (not that difficult) you'd be restricted to a local network. However they are working on the Mac auto discovery app (it's the part of the app that runs on the PC or Mac and is free); the iPad part of the app is the same. There's a free, limited viewing time, version of Splashtop, so there's no risk in evaluating it.

Tim

OP
E

eN0ch

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.fullofgraceandtruth.net
Thanks Tim. I am already using Splashtop at home, and love it. It's just that I have a couple of conferences coming up soon, and remote access would be quite handy so I could leave the mac at home. Just not the best timing in relation to the Splashtop development timetable with respect to mac over Internet.

Just how complex is that port forwarding thingy? I'm not a super geek, but don't mind fiddling a bit.

Jbembenek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I should add that the instructions for my router, dlink, were easy to follow and only took about 5 minutes to do.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

ssj152

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi eN0ch, I use LogMeIn Free

I've been using this for about 3 years now. I also use the paid version where I need to be able to transfer files (one of the few things the free version doesn't do. LogMeIn is much better IMHO as it provides security within the app, unlike VNC or the built-in Apple screen sharing facility. Please - no flame wars, it is simply an opinion - MINE.

LogMeIn works with both Macs and PC's, interchangeably. To check LogMeIn out, see logmein dot com.

Using LogMeIn requires you to set up an master account where individual accounts, either free or paid, will be established for all machines you will access using their service. It is actually very simple to do. They good online information you can read to learn about their product. I tried to include them in this post but wasn't allowed to as I am a new member here.

A small BHO (browser helper object) will be installed on the machine you will use to control from and a service (background) program will be installed on each computer you will control. You are not limited to one free account!

Note: I do not work for nor am I paid by LogMeIn. I just like and use their products.

ssj152

iPF Noob
Reaction score
eN0ch, yes the iPad app is somewhat expensive, at least when compared to $0.99. I got my copy of LogMeIn for IOS for $20 some months back. The Mac and PC versions are available in free versions.

I want to apologize; I didn't read the original posts carefully enough. I'm confused about your requirements. Are you trying to play music from a home-based Mac or remote control a computer for some other purpose?

Regards,
Stuart

wazza1969

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I believe the latest update to the Mac streamer now has internet discovery for Macs.

Most reactions