What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Remote aap?

biobunny

iPF Noob
Reaction score
MadDragon1846 said:
Best passwords are like dg63fub64 (nice and random. ya could maybe add 1 or 2 upper case letters if you want to make sure) I tend to keep away from using part of screen names, pet's names, birthdays, etc. it's the 1st thing a hacker would try.

It takes awhile to remember them, but just keep manually inputting them instead of having the computer remember them for you, and after awhile they get stuck in ya head, and ya can't forget them even if ya try lol

Sent from my iPod touch using iPF

I heard that some people could know your password by looking on your desk. My password is Extremely long.

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No idea mate lol. It's also a good idea to not use the same password for everything. So even if they somehow did figure out 1 of your passwords, say for your desktop. Then you wouldn't have to worry about people then logging on to your apple account etc. ^^

saguaro

iPF Noob
Reaction score
With Splashtop you can only connect from within your home network (meaning a computer on the same network as your ipad) so if you have wireless security set up in your router, and a firewall, you should be as safe as possible. The Splashtop password is there to keep anyone else from connecting to your computer within your home network.

LINK :D

Dunno if I added the link properly. If not, it's - Splashtop Inc. - Splashtop Remote - Support : How do I connect to my home computer from outside of home?

*edit*
I have my Splashtop set up like shown on that link (was actually pretty easy to set up, it's probably all the practice I get from having to port forward loads of ports for my Playstation 3 lol), and I also have it set up for my local network. And I can connect fine using either method. =)

My head is starting to hurt. :eek:

According to that link you can get to your computer from outside with Splashtop. But it does not address some security concerns I have:

1. If you open ports, are they secure, or can anyone find them and get into your computer?

2. Ports aside, I think data transmitted unencrypted is readable by anyone on the internet who knows how to do that.

As an aside, Gibson Research Corp has an web utility called Shields Up that scans your computer for breaches.
It's at

GRC*|*Gibson Research Corporation Home Page**

Scroll down the page and under Hot Spots, click on Shields Up! On the next page click on the Proceed button, click Proceed in the security warning, and on the next page under ShieldsUP!! Services, try Common Ports and All service Ports.

Someday when I feel like it, I will research this more.

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I guess if you think about it, controlling anything remotely, will raise the risk of being hacked.

I shouldn't think opening 3 ports for Splashtop would raise the risk too much though. Iv had to open alot more ports for my Playstation 3. And no hacks soo far. *touches wood*

Just make sure you have a nice strong password, a good firewall, and antivirus. And enjoy remotely controlling your desktop ^^

There are ways to password protect folders on your pc too, so you could always look into that, for added protection.

OP
V

voodookills31

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Got a question. According to the link, I can set my router to port forward a range of ports. In the same row it asks me for my ip address. What/which should I put here?

MadDragon1846

iPF Noob
Reaction score
voodookills31 said:
Got a question. According to the link, I can set my router to port forward a range of ports. In the same row it asks me for my ip address. What/which should I put here?

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. But if you are trying to open ports on your router, and it's asking for an ip address. Usually it wants the ip address of your pc.

If you start up cmd, and type in "ipconfig /all" (without the quotes), a load of info will appear, there will be a line saying ipv4 address . . . . 0.0.0.0<preferred>

Where I put 0.0.0.0 should be your ip address.

I don't know if I'm allowed to link to sites, but if you need to know your public ip address, for entering into splashtop. just google Public ip address. A few sites down the list will tell you it. =)

Most reactions

Latest posts