What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reminders not updating on Mac

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just a little heads up, I have been playing with this issue for a while. I could create a reminder on either my iPhone or on my iPad and it would update. However the reminder I created on my calendar would not flow to the iPhone or iPad and the reminders that I created on the iPhone or iPad did not appear on my Mac.

Answer

Open the calendar program on the Mac on
go to iCal, then slide down to preferences
look to see if the iCloud account is there if not add it and and enter your password

bofort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidalan99 said:
Just a little heads up, I have been playing with this issue for a while. I could create a reminder on either my iPhone or on my iPad and it would update. However the reminder I created on my calendar would not flow to the iPhone or iPad and the reminders that I created on the iPhone or iPad did not appear on my Mac.

Answer

Open the calendar program on the Mac on
go to iCal, then slide down to preferences
look to see if the iCloud account is there if not add it and and enter your password

Thanks for that David, the famous law was in full operation when I tried to follow your advice, my server went down, consternation until I cottoned on.
Now I have set that up I still expect that if I put a reminder in REMINDERS it will appear in the iCal and vice versa an entry in iCal should appear in Reminders, but that doesn't happen, should it??. I have an iPad 1 and iMac on lion both with iOS5
Bob

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bofort said:
Thanks for that David, the famous law was in full operation when I tried to follow your advice, my server went down, consternation until I cottoned on.
Now I have set that up I still expect that if I put a reminder in REMINDERS it will appear in the iCal and vice versa an entry in iCal should appear in Reminders, but that doesn't happen, should it??. I have an iPad 1 and iMac on lion both with iOS5
Bob

You need to find out which part of the chain is not functioning.
Create a reminder on your Mac. Wait a few minutes then go to the iCloud web site and sign in if you have to and check to see if the reminder is there

Open you iPad and see if the reminder is there. If it is not, open settings go to iCloud and turn reminders off. Close out of settings and all other running apps and wait a minute or two. Then go back to settings and turn reminders back on.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

bofort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidalan99 said:
You need to find out which part of the chain is not functioning.
Create a reminder on your Mac. Wait a few minutes then go to the iCloud web site and sign in if you have to and check to see if the reminder is there

Open you iPad and see if the reminder is there. If it is not, open settings go to iCloud and turn reminders off. Close out of settings and all other running apps and wait a minute or two. Then go back to settings and turn reminders back on.

Sent from my iPhone/iPad using iPF

Hi David, I don't have a reminder program/app on my iMac, looked in App store don't see the equivalent app to the one on the iPad.
Bob
Sent from my iPad

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Sorry it's part of iCal appears on the right side in monthly view.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

bofort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Uh Hu, Now all is clear thank you. I found reminders on iCal on the iMac selected it and the reminders from the iPad show up in the Right hand side bar. So I assume the system is designed to interlink between the iPad and a computer. If I enter a reminder on the iCal side bar I don't see how you would put date and time.

bofort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi David, what also intrigues me is that while I have iCal on the iMac and iPad in synchronism (I decided just to use one category, HOME, having others seemed to complicate matters not all showing up on other device) I find it very odd that looking at iCal in iCloud it doesn't show all of the entries and some only appear if I select Combined which I don't use anymore.

I bought my first Apple in 1980 and the young age of 45 when I was working in Riyadh, migrated to IBM clones and waited until 1989 living and working in Canada when I bought my first Mac. Never looked back even when my work machine demanded a Windows computer. I brought my Mac Book back with me to the UK when I retired in 2001. Since then I have had a half ball iMac and now a 21.5 inch iMac. Macs used to be simple intuitive to use machines now they are most interesting devices with lots of clever facilities which test my old bonce to the limit. Maybe they are too clever? I am used to telling fellow oldies get a Mac they are so easy to use, maybe not so true any more. But I have converted my daughter and granddaughters to Macs.

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi David, what also intrigues me is that while I have iCal on the iMac and iPad in synchronism (I decided just to use one category, HOME, having others seemed to complicate matters not all showing up on other device) I find it very odd that looking at iCal in iCloud it doesn't show all of the entries and some only appear if I select Combined which I don't use anymore.

I bought my first Apple in 1980 and the young age of 45 when I was working in Riyadh, migrated to IBM clones and waited until 1989 living and working in Canada when I bought my first Mac. Never looked back even when my work machine demanded a Windows computer. I brought my Mac Book back with me to the UK when I retired in 2001. Since then I have had a half ball iMac and now a 21.5 inch iMac. Macs used to be simple intuitive to use machines now they are most interesting devices with lots of clever facilities which test my old bonce to the limit. Maybe they are too clever? I am used to telling fellow oldies get a Mac they are so easy to use, maybe not so true any more. But I have converted my daughter and granddaughters to Macs.

As for Mac my first was an apple II then a Mac plus with no hard drive. Even when told to work on a PC for many years I did it on a Mac and moved it. When I was let go from JVC almost three years ago the first thing I did was go out and by a MacBook Pro 13".

Please don't forget when every viewing on any device, you need to go and confirm which or all calendars (reminders as well) you want to look at. When you open it for the first time check off all, each time there after you should see all, but you must select that on all devices. for instance if you are in iCal (monthly view) on your Mac on the left side you will see a button called "calendar", select it and you will see your calendars. As a side note do not forget in preferences to select a default calendar.

bofort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
davidalan99 said:
As for Mac my first was an apple II then a Mac plus with no hard drive. Even when told to work on a PC for many years I did it on a Mac and moved it. When I was let go from JVC almost three years ago the first thing I did was go out and by a MacBook Pro 13".

Please don't forget when every viewing on any device, you need to go and confirm which or all calendars (reminders as well) you want to look at. When you open it for the first time check off all, each time there after you should see all, but you must select that on all devices. for instance if you are in iCal (monthly view) on your Mac on the left side you will see a button called "calendar", select it and you will see your calendars. As a side note do not forget in preferences to select a default calendar.

Hi David thank you one more.

When I add a reminder on iCal on the iMac it shows up on reminders on the iPad. Great. Do you know how you add in date and time please?

OP
davidalan99

davidalan99

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bofort said:
Hi David thank you one more.

When I add a reminder on iCal on the iMac it shows up on reminders on the iPad. Great. Do you know how you add in date and time please?

For right now it day only no time. Open the reminder on an IOS5 device and you can see your options that you can use. If its on a phone you can even choose location.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF

Last edited:

bofort

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello again David, thanks for that. I also went to my local Mac APR "Stormfront" in Bury St. Edmunds. The young fellow I chatted to didn't know the answer right away but after playing around a bit we found that if you double left click on the reminder you are entering on iCal you get the option to include the date. So for that aspect it is all systems go. Been good chatting to you.

Cheers,

Bob

Most reactions

Latest posts