What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Registering one account / CC for multiple users?

vpdadam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We are in the process of ordering ~15 ipads for business use. What is the best course of action to connect these if possible to one credit card via itunes/etc?

Thanks in advance

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
Use the same iTunes account on all of them, this also means that you won't have to pay 15 times for the same app but just once.

OP
V

vpdadam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Use the same iTunes account on all of them, this also means that you won't have to pay 15 times for the same app but just once.

Thats what I was hoping, BUT thought I've heard or read somewhere there was a limit to how many times, like 5 or something?

Which also begs the question, if I have 15 of them, and want to sync/backup each one, some will be different than others...I don't want stuff getting mixed up for different departments/etc.

DefBref

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
mobro.co
There's a limit on 5 pc/macs signed into the same iTunes account, but no limit on number of idevices using the same account.

You can also control each one individually as to what they sync, any app data will not be confused between them.

OP
V

vpdadam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There's a limit on 5 pc/macs signed into the same iTunes account, but no limit on number of idevices using the same account.

You can also control each one individually as to what they sync, any app data will not be confused between them.

So your saying I can use the same itunes account on up to 5 machines, but I can use that account on an unlimited amount of ipads?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but whatever the computer lets you do, you would still be violating the terms and conditions of the app store.

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) You may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices you own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use the Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on compatible iOS Devices.

(iv) You shall be able to manually sync App Store Products from at least one iTunes-authorized device to iOS Devices that have manual sync mode, provided that the App Store Product is associated with an Account on the primary iTunes-authorized device, where the primary iTunes-authorized device is the one that was first synced with the iOS Device or the one that you subsequently designate as primary using the iTunes application.

There are, I believe, enterprise and educational solutions to managing multiple iPads. To avoid legal entanglements I recommend looking them up, rather than depending on us people who only have experience with individual licenses.

Apple - iPad in Business - Why iPad

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Phine00Del

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Semi-related question:

My mom and I both have iPad 2's and we're using the same apple ID for the AppStore so we can share the apps we pay for. I use game center to play games against friends and there's a new game I downloaded that I'd like to play against my mom. When I tried go log her in under her own apple ID it kept asking for the password for my apple ID (since it's the one being used for the app store). Is it possible to use a different game center ID from the ID being used for the app store? Thanks.

OP
V

vpdadam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I hate to be a stick in the mud, but whatever the computer lets you do, you would still be violating the terms and conditions of the app store.

APP STORE PRODUCT USAGE RULES

(i) You may download and sync an App Store Product for personal, noncommercial use on any iOS Device you own or control.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download and sync an App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on one or more iOS Devices you own or control or (b) multiple individuals, on a single shared iOS Device you own or control. For example, a single employee may use the Product on both the employee's iPhone and iPad, or multiple students may serially use the Product on a single iPad located at a resource center or library.

(iii) You shall be able to store App Store Products from up to five different Accounts at a time on compatible iOS Devices.

(iv) You shall be able to manually sync App Store Products from at least one iTunes-authorized device to iOS Devices that have manual sync mode, provided that the App Store Product is associated with an Account on the primary iTunes-authorized device, where the primary iTunes-authorized device is the one that was first synced with the iOS Device or the one that you subsequently designate as primary using the iTunes application.

There are, I believe, enterprise and educational solutions to managing multiple iPads. To avoid legal entanglements I recommend looking them up, rather than depending on us people who only have experience with individual licenses.

Apple - iPad in Business - Why iPad

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/Enterprise_Deployment_Guide.pdf

I appreciate the concern, however I don't see in the TOS, where it strictly says you can't do that?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Aren't you a commercial enterprise? Maybe I misunderstood.

If you are using a single credit card, that means you will can/will buy each app only once. Under section (ii), that means you could either sync the app to all devices, but only let one employee use it, or sync it to one device and let them pass it around to use.

On the other hand, you could buy absolutely no apps for your employees, and have them create their own accounts to buy the apps they want. That would work. If you wanted to pay for some of the apps, you could use your business account to Gift the apps to each of them.

BTW, it is possible to Activate the iPads without associating them with an account (though I'm pretty sure you need an account to do it.)

iTunes: Turning on Activation-only Mode

This might also be useful.

How to use multiple iPods, iPads, or iPhones with one computer

I'm not trying to butt into what you do. I just though that you should be aware that the rules for businesses and individual users are slightly different. Elsewhere in the TOS it makes provisions for family members using the same account, which is where most of us get our ideas of what is and is not ok. As a buisiness owner your visibility and liability are higher than the typical user. I felt it would be a disservice not to point that out.

OP
V

vpdadam

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Aren't you a commercial enterprise? Maybe I misunderstood.

If you are using a single credit card, that means you will can/will buy each app only once. Under section (ii), that means you could either sync the app to all devices, but only let one employee use it, or sync it to one device and let them pass it around to use.

On the other hand, you could buy absolutely no apps for your employees, and have them create their own accounts to buy the apps they want. That would work. If you wanted to pay for some of the apps, you could use your business account to Gift the apps to each of them.

BTW, it is possible to Activate the iPads without associating them with an account (though I'm pretty sure you need an account to do it.)

iTunes: Turning on Activation-only Mode

This might also be useful.

How to use multiple iPods, iPads, or iPhones with one computer

I'm not trying to butt into what you do. I just though that you should be aware that the rules for businesses and individual users are slightly different. Elsewhere in the TOS it makes provisions for family members using the same account, which is where most of us get our ideas of what is and is not ok. As a buisiness owner your visibility and liability are higher than the typical user. I felt it would be a disservice not to point that out.

I think we would fall under state and local government, not sure if thats the same as a "commercial enterprise", as we aren't a private profitable business ?

I absolutely appreciate you helping me out, thank you for taking the time to reply, I'll certainly check out those links. This is certainly one of the few areas where I can't seem to find an over abundance of information. I do think as more devices fall into a business role, we will see more things unfold hopefully.

rorroman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is there a way to use Game Center with an Enterprise App ? for sales achievements and activity records? maybe with OpenFeint ?

Most reactions