What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

refund possible?

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
Hi guys

i've just accidentally downloaded real racing 2 on my ipad, not realising a)it's iphone format and b) i already own real racing 2 HD. the hype for this app lead me to believe it to be an enhancement or new app. it's sometimes a bit confusing when a new device/ios is released.

so, i've just paid 3 bucks for something i immediately erased (i dont own an iphone). is this a valid reason by Apple for a refund do you think? and if so, how do i go about it?

thanks

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you go to iTunes you can find an email address to send an explanation or you can call iTunes support. As I understand it (my wife is the expert on this particular topic) you won't receive a "refund," but you will receive a credit on your iTunes account. Apple doesn't let go of revenue easily. Based on my wife's experience, I'm virtually certain you'll get a credit.

Chuy Hardy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is something I wanna know too, could you tell us (or me) what happens?

debbied88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to iTunes and there was a button under the app I couldn't use. There is a pull down menu and a place for comments. I received my money back to PayPal, but also received a message saying it was a one time only event. Good luck.

jsh1120

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to iTunes and there was a button under the app I couldn't use. There is a pull down menu and a place for comments. I received my money back to PayPal, but also received a message saying it was a one time only event. Good luck.

Just to clarify. What Apple means by a "one time only event" is that you cannot ask for a credit on the same app more than once. In other words, if you purchase it again you buy it forever. You're not precluded from returning other apps that fail to perform as you need.

debbied88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for clarification. I was thrilled to get money back! I am going to be more careful. The problem was my old pc not the app. It wasn't clear on the app that I needed an updated operating system. I was disappointed because I really wanted the app to work.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for letting us know - this confirms that you can always get a refund for an app that doesn't meet your expectations.

Apple's contract with the Developer means the Developer repays the entire sum to the customer while Apple keep their 30% commission - so you can see why there's never a problem because - hey - that credit in your iTunes account, you'll use it to purchase another app, movie or music....

Tim

OP
sjleworthy

sjleworthy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.sjleworthy.com
his exact words were - .....After reviewing the circumstances of your case, we determined that issuing you a refund is an appropriate exception to the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions, which state that all sales are final.....

the credit goes directly back to my credit card, but hey, no reason why not to re-spend it as you say :) i dont do music or tv, so what apps are there on my wish list i wonder??? :)

Yaminashi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can shed some light here since this JUST happened to me. I purchased a download manager not too long ago after seeing what it could do on the iphone, so I purchased the ipad version.

However it wasnt nearly as good as they made it seem. It was slow, crashed and drained my battery like crazy. On top of that, no answer from developers so I used the apple service and support under"help" in itunes and this is what I got back a day later: (not my real name)

"Dear Ben,

Greetings from iTunes Store Customer Support. My name is Vinod and it would be a pleasure for me to assist you today.

I would like to mention before I move on that we are all working together to help answer our customers as soon as possible. That being said, you may experience interacting with different advisors should you require further assistance.

I understand that the app "Meteoric Download Manager HD" does not function as expected. I certainly understand how eager you are to get this issue resolved and I am happy to help you with this.

Ben, please accept my apologizes for any inconvenience caused. I have submitted this item for investigation. Apple takes the quality of the items offered on the iTunes Store seriously and will investigate the issue with this item, but I can't say when or if the issue will be resolved. Please try again in a few weeks.

I have reversed the charge for "Meteoric Download Manager HD". In five to seven business days, a credit of $2.99 should be posted to the credit card that appears on the receipt for that purchase.

Thank you for your understanding and for being a valued iTunes Store customer.

Have a wonderful day!

Sincerely,

Vinod
iTunes Store/Mac App Store Customer Support

Please Note: I work from Wednesday to Saturday 11:00 AM to 08:00 PM CST

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you. You may receive an AppleCare survey email; any feedback you provide would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

pgscott

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've had success with them on multiple occasions, downloaded wrong movie version once, then wrong app version, both times they were gracious and helpful and prompt. Love Apple support!

mkdow

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I was also charged for an app that I didn't intend to purchase. Clicked on the Report problem link, told my story in less than 12 hours I received an email advising that I'd get a refund. That was on Friday and on Monday my credit card statement showed the refund. I've removed my credit card number from my Apple ID, just in case. Partly to avoid errors and also to prevent impulse purchases -- I just know it could get way too easy to buy stuff.

So thanks a lot for the tips here -- I might otherwise just have chalked up the $7.41 loss to my own mistake.

zara26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really miss the 24-hour refund policy for Android. I find that I buy fewer apps now since it's hard to justify spending $10 on an app without being able to try it first.

Most reactions

Latest posts