refund possible?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by sjleworthy, Oct 15, 2011.

1. sjleworthy

sjleworthy Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    Hi guys

i've just accidentally downloaded real racing 2 on my ipad, not realising a)it's iphone format and b) i already own real racing 2 HD. the hype for this app lead me to believe it to be an enhancement or new app. it's sometimes a bit confusing when a new device/ios is released.

so, i've just paid 3 bucks for something i immediately erased (i dont own an iphone). is this a valid reason by Apple for a refund do you think? and if so, how do i go about it?

thanks
  2. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    If you go to iTunes you can find an email address to send an explanation or you can call iTunes support. As I understand it (my wife is the expert on this particular topic) you won't receive a "refund," but you will receive a credit on your iTunes account. Apple doesn't let go of revenue easily. Based on my wife's experience, I'm virtually certain you'll get a credit.
  3. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    cheers, i'll pursue that then. a credit will be just fine :)
  4. Chuy Hardy

Chuy Hardy iPad Fan

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    This is something I wanna know too, could you tell us (or me) what happens?
  5. Pazuzu

Pazuzu iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Same... It's what i miss most about android market... I hope apple will adopt the policy in the future

YOU ARE TEARIN ME APART, LISA!
  6. debbied88

debbied88 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I went to iTunes and there was a button under the app I couldn't use. There is a pull down menu and a place for comments. I received my money back to PayPal, but also received a message saying it was a one time only event. Good luck.
  7. jsh1120

jsh1120 iPad Addict

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +87 / 0
    Just to clarify. What Apple means by a "one time only event" is that you cannot ask for a credit on the same app more than once. In other words, if you purchase it again you buy it forever. You're not precluded from returning other apps that fail to perform as you need.
  8. debbied88

debbied88 iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for clarification. I was thrilled to get money back! I am going to be more careful. The problem was my old pc not the app. It wasn't clear on the app that I needed an updated operating system. I was disappointed because I really wanted the app to work.
  9. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    i had a personal reply from itunes support literally 5 mins ago - my credit card will be credited a £2.99 refund within 5-7 working days. thanks Apple :)
  10. Tim SPRACKLEN

Tim SPRACKLEN iPad Legend

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +121 / 0
    Thanks for letting us know - this confirms that you can always get a refund for an app that doesn't meet your expectations.

Apple's contract with the Developer means the Developer repays the entire sum to the customer while Apple keep their 30% commission - so you can see why there's never a problem because - hey - that credit in your iTunes account, you'll use it to purchase another app, movie or music....

Tim
  11. sjleworthy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +56 / 0
    his exact words were - .....After reviewing the circumstances of your case, we determined that issuing you a refund is an appropriate exception to the iTunes Store Terms and Conditions, which state that all sales are final.....

the credit goes directly back to my credit card, but hey, no reason why not to re-spend it as you say :) i dont do music or tv, so what apps are there on my wish list i wonder??? :)
  12. Yaminashi

Yaminashi iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I can shed some light here since this JUST happened to me. I purchased a download manager not too long ago after seeing what it could do on the iphone, so I purchased the ipad version.

However it wasnt nearly as good as they made it seem. It was slow, crashed and drained my battery like crazy. On top of that, no answer from developers so I used the apple service and support under"help" in itunes and this is what I got back a day later: (not my real name)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2011
  13. pgscott

pgscott iPF Novice

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've had success with them on multiple occasions, downloaded wrong movie version once, then wrong app version, both times they were gracious and helpful and prompt. Love Apple support!
  14. mkdow

mkdow iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the advice. I was also charged for an app that I didn't intend to purchase. Clicked on the Report problem link, told my story in less than 12 hours I received an email advising that I'd get a refund. That was on Friday and on Monday my credit card statement showed the refund. I've removed my credit card number from my Apple ID, just in case. Partly to avoid errors and also to prevent impulse purchases -- I just know it could get way too easy to buy stuff.

So thanks a lot for the tips here -- I might otherwise just have chalked up the $7.41 loss to my own mistake.
  15. zara26

zara26 iPF Noob

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really miss the 24-hour refund policy for Android. I find that I buy fewer apps now since it's hard to justify spending $10 on an app without being able to try it first.