What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reducing email in Outlook in IOS 11.3

Bruebaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
i just purchased a new iPad Pro and had the Apple store transfer the data from my iPad Air 2. When I got home, Outlook is now downloading every e-mail I have ever received. Is there a way to restrict it to only download recent ones? Also, is there a way to mass deleted the houndreds of emails I now have? Thanks!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

In the Settings app, go to Accounts & Passwords, select the Outlook account:
D2D22D54-D176-4D86-AC2B-A7EE64FB05B0.jpeg

Go to Mail Days to Sync:
30B62C30-A70A-45F5-9C45-1F457466C3C4.jpeg

Select one of these:
7316559F-50C6-4C99-A850-603B000D3BDD.jpeg

Make sure „No Limit“ is not checkmarked.
This will reduce the amount of emails displayed on your iPad.

OP
B

Bruebaker

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPad Forums!

In the Settings app, go to Accounts & Passwords, select the Outlook account:
View attachment 81607
Go to Mail Days to Sync:
View attachment 81608
Select one of these:
View attachment 81609
Make sure „No Limit“ is not checkmarked.

This will reduce the amount of emails displayed on your iPad.
Thank you for the information. I must be doing something wrong or I’m not using Outlook as I thought. When I go to Settings, Accounts & Passwords, the next page has Comcast.mail but nowhere is anything about Mail days to sync?

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To delete all of the emails from your Inbox in the built in Mail app, follow these steps:
Go to the Inbox, and tap „Edit“:
2482E505-63CE-49ED-A438-51A7DF0A8FD7.jpeg

Select one email:
458F32CA-31FD-4314-B7E4-203DD5127AF1.jpeg

When it‘s selected, tap „Move“ at the bottom, and don‘t lift your finger:
8C62FABC-6D71-4321-BB17-30D8C4357306.jpeg

While still holding „Move“, deselect the email you‘ve selected before. Then lift your finger from the „Move“ icon. As soon as you‘ve done it, you‘re allowed to put all of the emails of the inbox into a different folder. Select Trash:
1C9E59AD-CD8F-434E-8FF3-00C43028C137.jpeg

Hope that helps.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I must be doing something wrong or I’m not using Outlook as I thought. When I go to Settings, Accounts & Passwords, the next page has Comcast.mail but nowhere is anything about Mail days to sync?
Did you select the Comcast account? If that feature is availble, you‘ll find it after selecting/tapping the account.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you using the native Mail app, or the Microsoft Outlook app?

Johanna is showing you how to manage an Outlook email account in the native Mail app. Note, the Outlook app and an outlook account are not the same thing.

From what you are saying, I think you may be using the Microsoft Outlook app with a Comcast account.

If I’m right, the problem you are experienceing is due to the Comcast account being a POP3 type account. These accounts don’t save your email’s status (read, unread, draft, folder) on line. It’s all done by the app on the iPad. When you delete the app (or restore it from a backup) all status is lost, and the account will consider all emails stored on the server as new.

POP3 is an older account type, and does not do when accessed by multiple computers or devices.

You’re best bet is to go to the Comcast site (via the web) and acccess your email account. There should be tools to delete old emails. Once you do that, remove and re-add the account to the iPad.

Better yet, get an IMAP or Exchange account with a third party (Google, Apple, Yahoo, Hotmail, etc.) and start migrating your contacts. You’ll be happier in the long run. These type of accounts are meant to be accessed by multiple devices. All status and emails are maintained on the server so that they are not accidently lost, or accidetnly kept.

Note 1: Outlook and Hotmail are Exchange accounts; Microsoft proprietary. Google, Apple, Yahoo, and most other non-ISP accounts are IMAP. Some ISP’s offer IMAP servers as well as POP3. Check their sites for setup instructions. The cheapskates still use POP3, the aboslute minimum email service; probably just so they can claim it in their ads.

Note 2: In general, it’s not a great idea to use your ISP’s email service as your primary email account, even if it is IMAP or Exchange. If you ever move and have to change ISP’s, or decide you want a different ISP, you’ll lose access to that account. If you’ve used that account as your conatact account for other services, then you’ll also lose things like password reset and other features that require authentication through an email.

It’s best that your primary email account be one you can keep no matter where you move or what provider you choose.

Note 3: While it is counter intuitive, your Apple email address is a standard IMAP account. It will keep working whether you use it with an Apple Device or not.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I’ve always been a hotmail person. It’s always there and can be accessed anywhere just about.

Most reactions

Latest posts