What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Red battery of death

coolguy22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me! I have a 3rd generation iPad and about a week ago it just switched off randomly. When I connect it to a (wall) charger it shows the battery sign with the three red lines and will occasionally bring up the Apple logo but then switches off. I am unable to pass this point even when trying to carry out a restore. The power and home button hold doesn't seem to do the trick either. The Apple store were not helpful, plugging it into the computer and saying "well, replacing it is £240".

Wondered if you guys had any ideas, I assume it's a dead battery - but thought maybe you might have any tricks that will bring it back to life.

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Hope you can help me! I have a 3rd generation iPad and about a week ago it just switched off randomly. When I connect it to a (wall) charger it shows the battery sign with the three red lines and will occasionally bring up the Apple logo but then switches off. I am unable to pass this point even when trying to carry out a restore. The power and home button hold doesn't seem to do the trick either. The Apple store were not helpful, plugging it into the computer and saying "well, replacing it is £240". Wondered if you guys had any ideas, I assume it's a dead battery - but thought maybe you might have any tricks that will bring it back to life.

Welcome to iPF! Chances of a dead battery are high, but once we have never seen the battery sign with 3 red lines, I'd request you to post a screenshot of the problem you are having. Knowing that it is impossible for you to post a screenshot from your iPad, you can use any other device that you have to take a picture and post it here. 1. Where on screen does the battery sign appear? Top right corner, or the centre of the screen?

Last edited:

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, Hope you can help me! I have a 3rd generation iPad and about a week ago it just switched off randomly. When I connect it to a (wall) charger it shows the battery sign with the three red lines and will occasionally bring up the Apple logo but then switches off. I am unable to pass this point even when trying to carry out a restore. The power and home button hold doesn't seem to do the trick either. The Apple store were not helpful, plugging it into the computer and saying "well, replacing it is £240". Wondered if you guys had any ideas, I assume it's a dead battery - but thought maybe you might have any tricks that will bring it back to life.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

I'm a little confused with the battery sign also!

Do you think your battery just ran down and turned off, is that possible? When an iPad turns off because of a flat battery, it will take a small amount of time on charge before you will be able to use it again. It's not a case of 'plugging it in and off you go again' type of thing.

So put it on charge for a while.....I've only allowed mine to run out completely once but I think it took about 20 minutes charge before I was able to use it again normally but try least an hour on charge and see how you go.

I've never heard of an iPad 3 battery giving out after only 2 years use (I think they were released 2 years ago now). I have an iPad 2 which has been used heavily (every day) in the past 3 years and it's still going strong, so for it to be the battery is unusual unless your iPad was left without charge for a long time - this can damage the battery.

The reset you mention by holding the Power and Home buttons simultaneously, will take about 20-30 seconds before the Apple logo will appear, are you waiting long enough for this to happen?

OP
C

coolguy22

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all! thanks for getting back to me.

It's a bit of a hassle to reach that point of the battery but essentially it is a more modern version of this sign > image.jpg but the iPad is off instead of on.
I have left it for about 3 days plugged in and it didn't work.

I have treated the iPad very well, it hasn't been left without charge for a long time. Any ideas about how i speak to Apple about this? Clearly it's an issue with their product but as it is outside of the warranty they aren't prepared to do anything. There is a battery replacement scheme they run for around £70 but I don't see why I should have to pay for their faulty product! very frustrating.

leelai

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, thanks for the pic.......

Well, let's look at some other things first........it may be the cable and plug instead, it may not be charging.....do you have another to try?

One of mine sparked when charging and died on me and luckily I had a spare. If I hadn't seen it happen, I wouldn't have known. So try a different one and see if it makes a difference. If you do have an iPhone charger, be aware that this will only do a trickle charge so will take a lot longer to charge an iPad. Also try plugging it into a different wall outlet also.

Let us know how you go......

abababababab

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks for that pic. Looks a bit confusing...

1. 3% charge but the sign on the small battery at the top right shows it fully charged, and there is no 'NOT CHARGING' indication.
2. iPad is automatically turned on when you connect it to a charger, so your iPad is turned on.
3. Is the battery of the iPad draining further?
4. Is it being recognized by iTunes when you plug it in to your computer?

Also try the suggestions given by Leelai.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One more possibility: some third-party USB cables and chargers no longer work under iOS7. If you're using one, try the Apple product instead.

This post handcrafted from 100 percent post-consumer recycled electrons.

Jesse salisbury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is my problem with 3 ipad 3rd generation tablets. 2 were taken out of the box and messed with and put back in their boxes ( we gave away 50 at a charity function.) they were taken out of the boxes last week and were dead! Tried to charge them for 3 days and could get nothing but the apple logo blinking on and off 17 seconds on bright 3 seconds dim apple as its going to black screen and 5 seconds black screen ( over and over ) if i press the button and hold it while i plug in the power cord for 10 seconds it will show the itunes symbol and plug but my computers will not recognize them at all. I recently bought a ipad 3 with 32 gb the guy posted that it just needed a battery. It does the same as these other two except it showed 3 hairline red lines on a battery for just a few seconds and went right to flashing like the others. Ive tried power supplies ,cables and computers that work just fine with my other ipad and ipod stuff. There sure isnt much info out there on this.thanks....

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is my problem with 3 ipad 3rd generation tablets. 2 were taken out of the box and messed with and put back in their boxes ( we gave away 50 at a charity function.) they were taken out of the boxes last week and were dead! Tried to charge them for 3 days and could get nothing but the apple logo blinking on and off 17 seconds on bright 3 seconds dim apple as its going to black screen and 5 seconds black screen ( over and over ) if i press the button and hold it while i plug in the power cord for 10 seconds it will show the itunes symbol and plug but my computers will not recognize them at all. I recently bought a ipad 3 with 32 gb the guy posted that it just needed a battery. It does the same as these other two except it showed 3 hairline red lines on a battery for just a few seconds and went right to flashing like the others. Ive tried power supplies ,cables and computers that work just fine with my other ipad and ipod stuff. There sure isnt much info out there on this.thanks....

Sorry you're having these issues.

Just to check, when you said you tried to charge them for three days, did you leave them plugged in to a wall outlet with the proper Apple charger brick? Sometimes, it takes a while to get an iPad back from the "really dead battery" stage.

The other question: how long were these iPads in storage before you tried to turn them on? After a certain time - the battery becomes defunct because it hasn't been used. It's a long time, mind you, but still worth looking into. If it's been a while since the iPads were used, you might need a new battery.

Marilyn

Jesse salisbury

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks marilyn, the ipads were left inthe boxes for about 6 months (i cant say if had left the wifi on or if they were in sleep mode or what ) yes i have used multiple bricks and cords that are working fine on other ipads. I really dont have much doubt that the batteries are the problem, i just cant seem to find any support for what a bad battery is supposed to look like ie ( the blinking apple logo or red battery of death )
But i have seen dozens and dozens of pages of people that have found the battery life ( be it the amount of time it lasts on a charge or the life of the battery itself to be very disapointing ) also many problems with the 3 rd generation taking forever to charge... I have used this ipad 1 for over 5 years ( i use it every day all day ) and the battery seems to last like it did brand new. The only reason im even looking at upgrading is because apple wont( or cant ) upgrade the os and many updates and new programs dont work with it anymore. I paid nearly 900 dollars for this and feel very let down by apple. I feel i paid premium for beta.( but the battery is awesome )

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The iPad 3 does take longer to charge. It has a significantly larger battery than the iPad 1 or 2, and needed it. The retina screen takes a lot of power. It's also the reason that the iPad 3 is one of the very few devices Apple has made that is thicker and heavier than older models.

The iPad 4 and iPad air come with higher wattage chargers to compensate. Something Apple failed to do for the iPad 3, one of the little things that slipped by their design team in what was a big hardware upgrade.

If the iPads were put back in the boxes in sleep mode (rather than off), they would have shut down eventually; but the small 10%-5% charge would not have lasted six months. One of the reasons Apple makes an iPad shut down automatically at low battery levels is to prevent a total discharge of the batteries, which can permanently damage them.

Old Boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to iPF! Chances of a dead battery are high, but once we have never seen the battery sign with 3 red lines, I'd request you to post a screenshot of the problem you are having. Knowing that it is impossible for you to post a screenshot from your iPad, you can use any other device that you have to take a picture and post it here. 1. Where on screen does the battery sign appear? Top right corner, or the centre of the screen?

Old Boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I am in my late fifties and not computer literate I have a dead I pad 3
I think,has retina display.No screen just blank when no wall charger
plugged in but when plugged in apple logo will appear after approx
8/10 secs stays on then after approx another 10/15 secs gets brighter
again after 10/15 secs empty batt with 3 lines at bottom appears for
about 5/8 secs and this sequence repeats with charger plugged in
but goes blank/ black screen when charger removed can anyone help
Yours Gerry.

Old Boy

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just to clarify I have no lightning logo to batt icon batt sign with 3
thin red lines at bottom of batt logo which appears in the centre
of the screen.
Thanks in anticipation of the solution from a more computer
literate person Gerry.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi, welcome to iPF!

First, plug it into a wall charger and let it charge for at least 20 minutes. Then see if resetting will solve the issue. You won't lose data or settings when you do it: press and hold Home and Power button until the Apple logo appears, then release both. The iPad should power up on it's own. If it doesn't, restore it using iTunes on your computer: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

Hope that helps.

Most reactions

Latest posts