What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovering lost iPad

jmcarrillo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sometime ago someone stole our iPad. Subsequent to that I configured "Find my iPad" on another iPad to provide recovery some ability on the other iPad. It tested well, so I know that it works. If it is stolen, I can only find its location if the thief uses it on a wifi network (no 3G). Since I have no way of knowing when the thief would be on a wifi network, and I can't just sit there with on me.com trying over and over trying to locate it, is there a way for the iPad to tell me me via text, email, etc that the device is on a wifi network so that I can get it's location?

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Find my phone will send you email if it locates your device.

If the thief erases it before activating it on a wifi network however it will never show up...

-t

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To set up Find my Phone add a Mobile Me email account to your iPad. The switch to enable finding will show up on the configure screen.

That's the email address which receives the message.

-t

Holmes Alex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't think you can recover the music. Go to your files and check good luck can you answer my question Edit by moderator - no links to commercial sites.

Last edited by a moderator:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't think you can recover the music. [/COLOR]

If you are using the U.S. iTunes store (and a few other countries) and running iOS 4.3.3 or later you can go into iTunes, select the Purchased section. Any music you purchased in iTunes will be available for download.

This will not help with music you ripped from CDs and sync through iTunes. You'll need to rip the CDs again.

When iCloud is fully functional (in your country) then you will be able to do this at any time. Right now iCloud is still in public beta. Only some of the features are available to some locations.

OP
J

jmcarrillo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Find my phone will send you email if it locates your device.

If the thief erases it before activating it on a wifi network however it will never show up...

-t

Sending the e-mail when it is found is a great facility, but my experience in using it to find the iPad during the test, required to be actively trying to find it, and if it is not found the app on me.com times out. Since I have no way of knowing when the "thief" may connect to a wi-fi network, and I can't just sit there trying over and over to find it, this can be a problem.

Will the locating software on me.com continue trying to locate it and notify me when it is found? Or is there something else that I can do to allow it to continue searching?

I login to me.com to find the iPad, I generally don't use the downloadable app to run on another IOS device.

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yes, the application will keep trying to find it, and if it does will send you email.

If the device is locked and he does not happen to go near a known, trusted wifi access point, you will likely never find it.

The thief will likely just wipe it...

We recently located a "lost" iPod touch when we received "found" mail while at Starbucks. It was actually in the car and connected to the known network while the car was parked in front.

An earlier stolen iPhone never connected. The thief wiped it before activating it.

-t

OP
J

jmcarrillo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just tested it. Although it wasn't found previously (because it wasn't on a network) as soon as it connected to the network it was found. haven't been able to confirm the e-mail part as yet though, that e-mail goes to someone else, have to wait for their response.

Most reactions

Latest posts