What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recharging Time

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
iPad 7th generation
MW752LL/A

I’m emailing with an Apple employee who is handling this issue with me. A new cord is being delivered on Wednesday and I’ll test it. I told him that the iPad might be defective and he’ll handle that if the issue is a defective iPad....................

Hi again - thanks for the information at the top - you have the newest 'iPad' (assume Wi-Fi only + 32 GB storage) - for more information on your specific model, check Everymac HERE.

Now there seems to be still a question on the charger and cable you're using - blue boxed in the pic below is what came in your iPad's box, including a 'lightning to USB' cable (should be 3 foot) and a USB Power adapter - have you tried that combination to charge your new iPad? Dave

Screen Shot 2020-06-10 at 12.01.44 PM.png

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don’t see the response that was emailed to me but the charger cord came with the iPad. I’m not using any other cord. Today I was supposed to get a new cord from Apple but it’s 4:09 pm and overnight delivery was due hours ago.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don’t see the response that was emailed to me but the charger cord came with the iPad. I’m not using any other cord. Today I was supposed to get a new cord from Apple but it’s 4:09 pm and overnight delivery was due hours ago.

The cord itself makes little to no difference in charging speed for the iPad. What you are calling the USB adaptor is actually a power supply. Not all USB power supplies provide the same amount of power. The ones for iPhones and most other devices do not supply enough power to properly power an iPad. The one that came with the iPad can provide 10 to 20 times as much power as a power supply meant for phones.

You can use third party power supplies/chargers/adaptors, but they need to be made for large tables. If the charger does not say made for iPad (or other large tablet) it’s unlikely it is powerful enough to charge the iPad in a reasonable amount of time, and probably won’t charge it at all if the iPad is being used.

You can use a more powerful charger for smaller devices. For instance, it won’t hurt the iPhone at all if you use the iPad’s charger with it.

CDDA2204-790A-49BD-940B-B1BDC5BEED30.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The cord isn’t the issue. The iPad is depleting the battery in less than four hours. The usb dongle is the one that came with my iPad. But unplugged the iPad lasts just under four hours and plugged in it does the same.

Apple is replacing the iPad quickly after I send this one back. Great support person and policy.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The cord isn’t the issue. The iPad is depleting the battery in less than four hours. The usb dongle is the one that came with my iPad. But unplugged the iPad lasts just under four hours and plugged in it does the same.

Apple is replacing the iPad quickly after I send this one back. Great support person and policy.

Understood. Because you said something about plugging the iPad into the quick charge port, I thought you were using something other than the iPad’s original charger. Good luck on your replacement.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had ordered a third-party charger cord from Amazon and forgot about it. I bought it because the connection at the end of the iPad plug is surrounded with metal so it won’t bend. I’m using it with my iPhone right now. In two hours of charging from two percent it’s now at 94%. I’m amazed that it charges so fast. The regular charger for the iPhone takes five hours to fully charge.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hi again Pinkipad2 - you've simply discovered that a higher wattage power 'brick' (i.e. the charging unit that plugs into AC) will charge your iPhone faster - the cable used to connect the iPhone to the charger has no effect, it's the power (Wattage, which is Voltage x Amps) that determines the charge time. Most iPhones come w/ 5W chargers while iPads are supplied w/ 10W or 12W chargers (or 18W for Pro models), thus using an iPad charging brick on an iPhone will provide a quicker charger - this is what I do w/ my iPhone XR. In fact, even higher wattage chargers can be used, i.e. my iPad Pro's charger is 18W and can be used with iPhones or other older iPads. If interested, more information HERE. Dave :)

Most reactions