What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recharging Time

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
How much time does your iPad take to recharge? How long until the battery goes to a few percent?

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There’s no definitive answer as recharging time depends on which iPad and which charger is used. Working time until the battery needs charging depends on what you’re using the iPad for as well as the age of the battery. Older batteries hold less power than when new.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks. My iPad is brand new and the charger cord was provided with the iPad.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple states that you should get around 10 hours of battery life on a full charge.

Thanks. So if I get about four hours of battery life while plugged in, my cord or my iPad is defective.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Thanks. So if I get about four hours of battery life while plugged in, my cord or my iPad is defective.

Hello Pinkipad2 - first, congrats on your 'new' iPad! :) Second, just so we know exactly which iPad you bought, please provide the information below boxed in blue, i.e. model name and number (information is found in Settings > General > About). Your iPad should have come w/ a charger and cable.

Now, you need to clearly explain your statement bolded above - are you saying that if your 'new' iPad is plugged into AC w/ the 'new' charger/cable that your battery is still being used up and is exhausted by 4 hrs? Thanks - Dave

IMG_0892.PNG

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If your battery only lasts four hours when the iPad is plugged into the charger the you could have a defective charger, cord, or iPad itself. Try using a different outlet and also try charging a different device. If a different device charges normally then the iPad is faulty. If a different charger and/or cord works to charge your iPad then the charger, cord or both are defective. If you have a nearby Apple Sore, take the iPad, Harper and cord to the Genius Bar for a free diagnostic as soon as the store reopens.
If your iPad is less than 90 days old you should have free telephone technical support. Call them before trying the Apple Store and describe the problem. It’s possible that they will simply replace your iPad under warranty if they believe it’s defective.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
iPad 7th generation
MW752LL/A

I’m emailing with an Apple employee who is handling this issue with me. A new cord is being delivered on Wednesday and I’ll test it. I told him that the iPad might be defective and he’ll handle that if the issue is a defective iPad.

I can’t call due to disability and you guys really helped me Thank you. 12% left after two point five hours. I did change outlets but it didn’t change anything. I even tried the quick charging outlet.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Are you using something other than the charger that came with the iPad? I ask, because the standard charger only has one port. Chargers that were not specifically designed to charge larger tablets often do not have enough current to charge an while in use, and only slowly when sleeping.

Unless the charger specifically said it was for use with an iPad (not an iPad Mini), then even the quick charge port is probably designed for phone use, not iPad. Especially since iPads do not (officially) have a quick charge mode. Only iPhones do.

You can use third party chargers, but you have to make sure they are designed for iPad (or other large tablet) use. Not all chargers are created equal.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I used the charger cord that came with my iPad. I paid $29.95 for it from Apple for the six-foot cord.

For my last iPad I used a third-party cord for years and it charged in hours. I was told to get a mifi cord and it was great.

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
So you think that one end is defective but the other end is fine? I don’t think that I can replace just one end ...!

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
It plugs into a USB adapter and I use it to recharge my iPhone and a CD player. Both charge quickly with it. I’ve had them try other outlets and all work fine. The fast outlet isn’t so fast!

Most reactions

Latest posts