What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recent severe lag on my iPad 2

GAMESHARQ

iPF Novice
Reaction score
For the past few weeks, I've had increasing lag on my iPad 2. I can't think of any recent changes on it that would cause this problem.

It's running 7.1.2, but I upgraded to that version a long time before the problems started. And I take good care of it so I don't think it's damaged.

Would updating to version 8 help fix this type of problem? Or is this just expected to happen once an iPad reaches a certain age?

I'd really like to resolve the issue if possible since I can't really afford a new iPad right now.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm having this exact problem. My iPad takes a long time to open apps, websites, etc. everything takes two, three or four times longer. I've noticed the second hand stop on the clock. Maybe something is working in the background and using memory?

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Just for starters and if not already done, 'Reset' the iPad, i.e. hold down the ON-OFF & HOME buttons simultaneously until the Apple logo appears, and then release both at once; and allow the device to reboot - nothing will happen to your apps, their data, or your settings. Let us know if that maneuver helps. Dave :)

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't speak for the original poster but I've done that. Many times.

OK MoneyGuy - first, have you performed the maneuver exactly as described? Just asking, sorry.

Second, if not of help, then provide some further information - I assume that you have an iPad 2 - correct? What iOS are you currently using and have upgrades/updates been recently installed? Are you having issues w/ all or just a few apps, and if the latter which ones? Please provided answers to these questions.

And just for others reading this thread, if you've tried 'something' like a 'reset', then please provide that information in your original post - awfully silly to make a suggestion if the procedure has already been tried. Dave :)

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Giradman, I have the iPad 2. I'm using iOS 8.0.2 and have never downloaded iOS 8.1.2. I've heard it can cause problems; maybe that's incorrect and I should install it. Might installing the new iOS solve this problem.

I have done the reboot exactly as described. I'm having issues with many apps - extreme slowness in just about all tasks (but slowness varies - sometimes it's not bad and sometimes it's painfully slow).

I took my iPad to an IT friend who specializes in Apple devices. He suspects that an app may have be corrupted and is working in the background using a lot of capacity and slowing down everything else. I've gone deleted about 15-20 apps I don't need but it hasn't changed. He advises me to back up everything and do a reset to factory specifications. I'd hate to do that so wonder what others here have to say and if there are other options.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If you go to Settings>Usage>Battery Usage, you'll see a list of apps ant the percentage of battery usage since the last full charge. This should help find an app that's using more battery power and possibly more processing power than it normally should.

Also, have you tried restarting your iPad? Press and hold both the power and home buttons until the Apple logo appears, then release both buttons and wait for the iPad to restart. Let is know if it helps.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Update.

The iOS 8.0.2 version had several bugs that caused slowdowns and other problems with the iPad 2. The iOS 8.1.2 update fixed most of these, and has almost uniformly improved iPad 2 performance. While some users are upset with iOS 8 in general, once you are there you there is no reason not to continue to the latest update, which, as usual, is an improvement over earlier versions.

The only iOS 8 update that caused serious 'new' problems (in addition the ones in the first release) was the iOS 8.0.1 update, and while it was a serious problem it was mostly the new iPhone 6's that were affected. They lost their cellular services, which is major problem for a phone.

MoneyGuy

iPF Novice
Reaction score
To Scifan, I checked as you suggested and usage is 84% Safari, 9% mail, 4% home and lock screen and 3% Twitter. That doesn't appear to be a problem.

Twerpoet, you seem to be recommending an install of 8.1.2 so I'll do that soon. Maybe it will remedy this issue.

Thanks to everyone.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I can't guarantee it will fix the issue, but it shouldn't cause any new ones either, and maybe you'll get lucky.

Please let us know how it goes.

The usual precautions apply. Do a backup, and reset or restart the device before updating. Another reset after updating can be helpful as well.

Most reactions

Latest posts